Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myjay610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Hi everyone,

I'm currently setting up a dev network and lets say I have my DNS zone as: domain.com and my server name is 'server.' Normally I will find 'server.domain.com' under the /Network/Server directory. This time all I see is 'domain.com.' This hasn't caused any issues of note until I tried to create network home folders for users. When I automount the NFS share, the home directory gets set to nfs://domain.com/Volumes/homes and when I click the 'create home directory' button I receive an error. I matched my settings exactly to another dev network and the only thing different is the way the server hostname shows up under that Servers directory. If I try manually entering a path under workgroup manager an error pops up in the log saying it can't find the directory, which makes sense since /Network/Servers/server.domain.com doesn't exist.

Has anyone ever had this issue before? Or know how to change the hostname under the Servers directory?

And yes, one might say to use AFP but I have Linux and Unix boxes running as well.

myjay610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Turns out the local hostname needed to be changed via the serversetup application via the terminal. For some reason, changing the hostname in server admin didn't do the trick...

stukdog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
I see you already found the answer so I won't bother typing it again.

I will say though that it was classy of you to return and put the answer here in case anyone ever needs it in the future. The more people that do that, the more useful this place becomes.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I agree.

For anyone interested how it's done in the Terminal:
- Go to /System/Library/ServerSetup/
- Then type "./serversetup", and let the Usages help you out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.