Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
hi guys
So i would like to move some of the media folders in the home folder to another partition, for example the Movies, Pictures, Music, maybe even Documents and also keep the folder icons.

Just recreating them in the other partition I lose the folder icons/designs so is there a good way to do this?

I have already recreated a downloads folder and pointed all relevant programs to download anything into that folder/partition but I dont have the nifty icon...

I cant delete any of the existing ones in the home folder even if I recreate them and I wonder what the repercussions are if I do it to my music folder i.e itunes etc..

chime in if you have any ideas pls . THANKS

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Does this work. Before you move the folder open the Info panel, select the icon, and choose Copy from Finder's Edit menu.

Transfer the folder to the new drive, open the Info panel, select the icon and then choose Paste. Does it change the icon back to the original?

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
Does this work. Before you move the folder open the Info panel, select the icon, and choose Copy from Finder's Edit menu.

Transfer the folder to the new drive, open the Info panel, select the icon and then choose Paste. Does it change the icon back to the original?

thanks I tried but nothing can be copied icon wise..... :(

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
you have to move your home folder to the other partition. Google -> how to move home folder snow leopard

Thing is I dont want to transfer the whole thing. Only select folders. but I tried with music/itunes folder and for some reason itunes refuses to regconize the apps especially when in the new partition although I changed nothing

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
ok i moved the home folder encountered a whole host of issues too many to list but I wanted to check..... theres an applications folder in my main drive and theres another in my home folder which is in my other partition.. is that supposed to be the case and if not... how do i get rid of it? because deleting it doesnt seem to work

mjsmke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2010
UK
Dont delete anythiing yet.

When you move your home folder to another drive it will not have the house icon untill you change the path in system preferences then restart. check the new home folder has the house icon to be sure OSX is using this folder.

For your iTunes music you also have to change the music folder path in iTunes preferences.

I moved my home folder and still have the 2nd applications folder. I just left it there and i've had no problems.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
Dont delete anythiing yet.

When you move your home folder to another drive it will not have the house icon untill you change the path in system preferences then restart. check the new home folder has the house icon to be sure OSX is using this folder.

For your iTunes music you also have to change the music folder path in iTunes preferences.

I moved my home folder and still have the 2nd applications folder. I just left it there and i've had no problems.

Yes I know this hehe but I can tell you **** starts to happen when you try and do this LOL.

1. Have this handy: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Macintosh-OS-1063/2010/5/Locked-Internal-Partitions-Part.htm

This command line will fix any problems.

2. My last problem was for some reason not having access to the new partition with my home folder and no way in hell to fix it with disk utility or anything except finally using command line AND because of that somehow it affected the other partition for some reason and I have reinstall OS a few times. My comp had kernel errors so I had to reinstall.. then something else weird happened so yeah finally its working again.

My tips for people trying to do this.

1. You HAVE to turn off firevault
2. You have to create another user with Admin privileges
3. You log out of current user, log in to other, go to Mac HD partition (main) go to user, move the folder with your user name to new partition, go to accounts and change the path directory by right clicking advanced and etc etc. The you SHOULD be safe.

I had MAJOR issues even tho I followed the instructions.....I am guessing caused by firevault and ultimately some weird permission issues and such.

Once you have everything done you can turn firevault back on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.