Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
If I want to host UT2004, Prey, Halo, World of Padman, etc., and have the necessary ports all open in my OS X Firewall (and router)--is there any reason NOT to use OS X's Stealth Mode?

Or would that somehow stop people from connecting to the server?

Or would it only stop direct IP connections, but still allow people to find my server via in-game browsers?

Thanks for any thoughts. I will do more testing but I want to understand better.

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
If I want to host UT2004, Prey, Halo, World of Padman, etc., and have the necessary ports all open in my OS X Firewall (and router)--is there any reason NOT to use OS X's Stealth Mode?

Or would that somehow stop people from connecting to the server?

Or would it only stop direct IP connections, but still allow people to find my server via in-game browsers?

Thanks for any thoughts. I will do more testing but I want to understand better.

I had to use port fowarding in my router, while I hosted Halo a few years back for people to get on. Otherwise, they saw the server but couldn't get in. I can't recall if I opened the ports on OSX. I can iChat in stealth mode with the ports not opened specifically for iChat, so you may not have to open the ports in OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.