Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2001
Hey guys/gals-

I recently ordered a 20gb 7200rpm second harddrive, and took the 1.2 gig out of my old Pentium (i know, i know...). I want to set up OS X on my current 40gb, OS 9 on my 20gb, and have the 1.2 as a swap partition. How can I do this?

I figure that I can just install os 9 on the 20, and X on the 40, and they will automatically work together. Right?

Now, how do I make the 1.2 a swap drive...and is it worth it? It's an older drive 5400rpm max (if even that...did drives ever get slower than that?) and I want to make OS X as fast as possible.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

-Pete

Mighty Mac

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2002
Just a thought

I know that if you want OS X to run faster making a Swap drive on the Fastest HD would be best. I would make a 2gig or (what ever you are willing to give up from the 40gig drive partition. first then set that as your swap drive. You can learn how to do that on line I think MacOSX.com (unix questions.) I read it once think it was there.... Did not seem to hard if you have some computer know how. as for the 1.2 I would not waste the room in a G4 case Or a BW G3 case with it chances are it will just heat the machine up, and give very little back in return. Good luck:cool:

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2001
Well, I couldn't find anything on Macosx.com, but I really didnt look that hard. (My jack daniels is preventing that kind of work ethic), and the other site is great, but I don't understand much of UNIX commands. Is there any easier way to do this?

Does anyone actually do this, and do they get better results than without?

Thanks for the posts guys!!

-Pete

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I thought that OS X wanted to be on the Master drive, and have 9 on there too (unless you plan to do away with both classic and booting into 9 totally). That is the reason for people doing partitions on the same drive.

When all else fails, contact your local Apple store, or call Apple itself (directly) and put the question to them. I have found that they are very helpful when it comes to this stuff...

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
swap partitions...

are meant to optimize performance for X when there's a lack of RAM to pick up the slack....

we all know how much of a memory loving hog OS X can be!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.