Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
With the arrival of the new MacBook Air, all Macs will have SD card readers. The Air doesn't have an optical drive. What do you all think of the likelihood of Apple distributing OS X on SD cards going forward?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
With the arrival of the new MacBook Air, all Macs will have SD card readers. The Air doesn't have an optical drive. What do you all think of the likelihood of Apple distributing OS X on SD cards going forward?

Why SD cards when USB flash drives are cheaper?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I don't think they will, maybe in the future when they have an OS that doesn't support any macs that don't have them, but not anytime soon.

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
SD cards are too easy to lose, cd/dvd media is still dominant in the marketplace and inexpensive. They'll switch to downloads only before they do that.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Flash based media is still much more expensive than e.g. DVDs and Blu-Rays are (i.e. optical media). Also, SD cards can't be pressed while optical media can so that would increase the manufacturing expenses.

MBA has never had an optical drive but Snow Leopard came on DVD. You can use other Mac's DVD drive or an external DVD drive via USB

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
OSX on USB drive

Close enough :D

MBA.late2010.001.jpg

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why?
The brand new 11" MBA doesn't have an SD card reader, and do the current MacPros, and iMacs have them?

What about all the legacy hardware that is still out there

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Can an SD card (or flash drive in general) be made Read Only? The old floppies had a mechanical "switch" that could be flipped to make it impossible to write to a floppy. CDs are of course by nature Read Only. It only makes sense to distribute installation software on Read Only media.

If SD cards can be made Read Only, I kinda think that Apple may be going that way. It's not just the cost of the card, but also the cost of packaging and shipping. Plus, Apple may be thinking environmental issues too. I don't know what the green credentials are SD vs CD, but there might be some motivation there.

If we continue to see SD slots added to Macs, then I expect there is a good reason.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The software reinstall drive is a USB key. Same direction, different format.

I just knew that with Apple heading in the direction of dropping optical media that they had to start shipping their Macs with a physical version of the OS on Flash memory. Here it is: the Reinstall Drive.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
MacBook Pro didn't get a SD card until mid 2009. The iMac got it after that.

I could completely see a USB drive solution ala the new Air. It would get the packaging size down as well.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
MacBook Pro didn't get a SD card until mid 2009. The iMac got it after that.

I could completely see a USB drive solution ala the new Air. It would get the packaging size down as well.

I can see them doing that with 10.7 as all macs have USB, SD cards won't happen since not all macs have them, but USB would work well.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
The software reinstall drive is a USB key. Same direction, different format.

I just knew that with Apple heading in the direction of dropping optical media that they had to start shipping their Macs with a physical version of the OS on Flash memory. Here it is: the Reinstall Drive.

Is the USB Key Read Only? I suppose with it's Unix underpinnings it wouldn't be hard to set it Read Only? I don't know, I'm a photographer, dammit, not a developer. (sorry - no pun intended)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Anything set at the filesystem could be unset so I see nothing about OSX being Unix or not that would effect the read-only state of the card. It could be read-only at a hardware level though.

DivtyaBudhlya

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2010
Nashik
Honestly, I don't really care what they distribute it on going forward. What I hope, is that they introduce a digital download.

I'm in India, and it takes up to 3 months for the software disks to reach here officially. I have a fairly decent unlimited connection, why can't I pay using my card and download the damn disk image?

I'm hoping their new datacenter in X Carolina will be something.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
haha thats a cute box, if it comes on a USB pin i'm going to reformat it! thats like the most awesome USB pin ever! :D I'll just rip it to another USB pin

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Does it really matter how it's distributed?

You install it once and hide your install disc in the closet.

Or if you buy a new system, it's already pre-installed and you will never use the installer again.

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
Does it really matter how it's distributed?

You install it once and hide your install disc in the closet.

Or if you buy a new system, it's already pre-installed and you will never use the installer again.

USB flash drives are much faster than DVDs. SD cards too. If you have to reinstall, it is much more convenient.

And besides, I would definitely buy a MBP without DVD drive...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.