Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A_Dailey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
Hello all!
I'm working with a non profit program with my school. We are donating computers to schools and students in need. We were given a TON Of macs, I believe they are all of the same model. I was given the task to clear and reinstall the Operating System, but it asks for an apple account ID. If I just make an account to authorize these will the account stay on the system, and will I get charged for it?? I am a poor College student that can't afford to pay any installation fees especially for 20+ Macs.

It looks like I would be able to install it, aside from the apple ID problem I am facing.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello all!
I'm working with a non profit program with my school. We are donating computers to schools and students in need. We were given a TON Of macs, I believe they are all of the same model. I was given the task to clear and reinstall the Operating System, but it asks for an apple account ID. If I just make an account to authorize these will the account stay on the system, and will I get charged for it?? I am a poor College student that can't afford to pay any installation fees especially for 20+ Macs.

It looks like I would be able to install it, aside from the apple ID problem I am facing.
Once you install the operating system, your Apple ID is not in any way tied to what's on the disk.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Hello all!

Thank you for doing what you do and helping students.

You should be able to do a clean instal without the need for an Apple ID. I would recommend you create a USB stick with the operating system and just boot from the disk and then run disc utility to erase and format the target disk. Install the OS from there.

How to create a bootable install USB: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

There should be no need for an Apple ID at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.