Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Snivyman

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2020
I just replaced the Apple_HDA.kext in installer to the latest one from my main driver iMac.

I used MacPostFactor.

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
I just replaced the Apple_HDA.kext in installer to the latest one from my main driver iMac. I used MacPostFactor.

Q. Since most of these "unsupported" installations seem to need post-op tweaking anyway, is it possible to tweak an existing installation from another supported machine that's been cloned to an external? And, is there a guide?

--I currently have a very nice Yosemite "master" volume running on a 2ghz C2D blackback iMac with 2.5gb of ram, and see little reason why it wouldn't perform as adequately on a few old C2D white iMacs currently growing cobwebs. Since the current master contains dozens of software packages with settings adjusted to taste over the years, I loathe the idea of clean-installing or even brute-forcing an in-place upgrade if all it really comes down to is adding in the extra 0.01% worth of material that Apple's gatekeeper code is looking for.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Q. Since most of these "unsupported" installations seem to need post-op tweaking anyway, is it possible to tweak an existing installation from another supported machine that's been cloned to an external? And, is there a guide?

--I currently have a very nice Yosemite "master" volume running on a 2ghz C2D blackback iMac with 2.5gb of ram, and see little reason why it wouldn't perform as adequately on a few old C2D white iMacs currently growing cobwebs. Since the current master contains dozens of software packages with settings adjusted to taste over the years, I loathe the idea of clean-installing or even brute-forcing an in-place upgrade if all it really comes down to is adding in the extra 0.01% worth of material that Apple's gatekeeper code is looking for

Why not use Carbon Copy Cloner, then reinstall patches after complete?

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
Why not use Carbon Copy Cloner, then reinstall patches after complete?
Because I don't have those patches, yet. --Can you point me to what is needed? (In the depths of this now-66page thread, is there a particular sequence of posts, or person(s), whom I should be following?)

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
Actually if you use CCC on a like-for-like machine it might work.
I am specifically inquiring as to patching an existing OS from a *supported* machine that's been cloned to an external drive that's otherwise ready-to-go as a USB boot-volume. --Are you able to assist in creating a list of what kexts, settings, and other widgets need to be added or removed, or linking the work of someone who has already done so?

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
I am specifically inquiring as to patching an existing OS from a *supported* machine that's been cloned to an external drive that's otherwise ready-to-go as a USB boot-volume. --Are you able to assist in creating a list of what kexts, settings, and other widgets need to be added or removed, or linking the work of someone who has already done so?

Other than the “Unsupported Macs” Discord, don’t know.

That being said when I’ve cloned a Mojave drive it worked on multiple Mac’s without needing patches reinstalled.

Which is why I’m saying “maybe it will work” if you have everything working then just… clone the drive.

So no, I don’t have a readily available list just sitting around - but I’m saying “just try it and see what happens because why not?”

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
I am specifically inquiring as to patching an existing OS from a *supported* machine that's been cloned to an external drive that's otherwise ready-to-go as a USB boot-volume.
I’m saying “just try it and see what happens because why not?”
"It" has not yet been provided, and thus there is nothing to try here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.