Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleGeek1127

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Since I purchased my MacBook Air back in April, I've been using a Seagate External HDD to back up with Time Machine. The drive has been rock solid, and I haven't had ANY problems with it.

However, just today - the drive has started randomly unmounting. After ~5 minutes of being plugged in, it just decides to quit.

Oddly enough, the power light on the drive stays on after it's done unmounting itself. This doesn't usually happen when I unmount the drive manually.

It's also worth mentioning that I've tried repairing the disk/permissions with Disk Utility, but the disk conviently unmounts itself before the process is completed. Is there any way to fix this, or is the drive just defective? Thanks.

Last edited:

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Since I purchased my MacBook Air back in April, I've been using a Seagate External HDD to back up with Time Machine. The drive has been rock solid, and I haven't had ANY problems with it.

However, just today - the drive has started randomly unmounting. After ~5 minutes of being plugged in, it just decides to quit.

Oddly enough, the power light on the drive stays on after it's done unmounting itself. This doesn't usually happen when I unmount the drive manually.

It's also worth mentioning that I've tried repairing the disk/permissions with Disk Utility, but the disk conviently unmounts itself before the process is completed. Is there any way to fix this, or is the drive just defective? Thanks.

Try swapping USB cables. I had a similar thing happen to me a few years ago and it turned out to be the cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.