Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacintoshMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Is there any way to fix this abomination? So often do I use the Get Info 'Where' section to find the POSIX path to send to my colleagues who access the same shared storage as me.

example:
xMGFUR5.png

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
Is your complaint one of function or is it simply that the triangles offend your delicate sensibilities? What precisely is the problem.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
No idea why this was changed, security/privacy reasons maybe but you can easily create an Automator Service to enable a 'Copy File Path' service to appear in the contextual menu which has the same functionality.

Launch Automator and select to create a new 'Service'. In the 'Actions' sidebar to the far left, select 'Utilities' from the 'Library' dropdown, then select 'Copy to Clipboard' to the right - drag-n-drop this to the 'Workflow' section on the far right.

Then select 'files or folders' from the 'Service receives selected' dropdown menu above and 'Finder.app' from 'in' dropdown to the right of this. That's it! Go to 'File', 'Save' and you're done.

Now in the Finder, just select any file or folder, right-click and a 'Copy File Path' service will appear in the contextual menu. This also works for multiple selections - so you can copy the file path of each in one go without having to open a 'Get Info' window for each.

Enjoy! :cool:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-12-07 08.44.29.png
    Screenshot 2014-12-07 08.44.29.png
    233.7 KB · Views: 463
  • Screenshot 2014-12-07 08.51.12.png
    Screenshot 2014-12-07 08.51.12.png
    176.7 KB · Views: 475
  • Screenshot 2014-12-07 09.03.44.png
    Screenshot 2014-12-07 09.03.44.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 426

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
You can also try this: drop the file onto a Terminal window, then copy the path. It'll have the correct path delimiters ("/").

It is kinda odd the path in Get Info isn't valid. The OS knows how to translate a '/' from a file name to a valid UNIX name by substituting the ':' character for it (which used to be the delimiter in Mac OS classic), then back when viewing the file in the Finder. (Try creating a file with the '/' in the name. The Finder shows a '/', whereas if you go look at a file list in Terminal, you'll see a ':' instead.)

I seem to remember seeing the triangle arrow a while ago, but can't remember which version.

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I complained about this some time ago as well: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1809552/. My solution was the same as thefunkymonkey suggested above. It doesn't work 100% of the time, unfortunately, but it's as good as it gets, I suppose.

You can also try this: drop the file onto a Terminal window, then copy the path. It'll have the correct path delimiters ("/").

It is kinda odd the path in Get Info isn't valid.

I strongly suspect that this was done to make file hierarchies easier to understand. It resembles a stretched-out column view or even the Path Bar now, also the arrow icons are the same. Slashes are never shown elsewhere in Finder anymore, aside from the 'Go to Folder...' menu.

Last edited:

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I strongly suspect that this was done to make file hierarchies easier to understand. It resembles a stretched-out column view or even the Path Bar now, also the arrow icons are the same. Slashes are never shown elsewhere in Finder anymore, aside from the 'Go to Folder...' menu.

Agreed re: "file hierarchies" and consistency across Finder.

Guessing most users don't ever touch a Terminal window, so a *nix/tree file system/structure is probably a bit foreign, hence the new "arrows" ala menu traversal ("click here, then here, then there").

MacintoshMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
No idea why this was changed, security/privacy reasons maybe but you can easily create an Automator Service to enable a 'Copy File Path' service to appear in the contextual menu which has the same functionality.

Launch Automator and select to create a new 'Service'. In the 'Actions' sidebar to the far left, select 'Utilities' from the 'Library' dropdown, then select 'Copy to Clipboard' to the right - drag-n-drop this to the 'Workflow' section on the far right.

Then select 'files or folders' from the 'Service receives selected' dropdown menu above and 'Finder.app' from 'in' dropdown to the right of this. That's it! Go to 'File', 'Save' and you're done.

Now in the Finder, just select any file or folder, right-click and a 'Copy File Path' service will appear in the contextual menu. This also works for multiple selections - so you can copy the file path of each in one go without having to open a 'Get Info' window for each.

Enjoy! :cool:

Thank you for this!

It is kinda odd the path in Get Info isn't valid. The OS knows how to translate a '/' from a file name to a valid UNIX name by substituting the ':' character for it (which used to be the delimiter in Mac OS classic), then back when viewing the file in the Finder. (Try creating a file with the '/' in the name. The Finder shows a '/', whereas if you go look at a file list in Terminal, you'll see a ':' instead.)

I seem to remember seeing the triangle arrow a while ago, but can't remember which version.

This is what I've been doing for the last few days. The extra step has been annoying.

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2011
FWIW TotalFinder has options to copy the file path.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-12-08 11.38.28.png
    Screenshot 2014-12-08 11.38.28.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 289

celggar

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2018
Panama
Is there any way to fix this abomination? So often do I use the Get Info 'Where' section to find the POSIX path to send to my colleagues who access the same shared storage as me.

example:
xMGFUR5.png
This is the best question I have seen, I used this option a lot to use the shortcut cmd + G, after finding the file with Spotlight, and now it has been damaged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.