Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2001
Just wondering, what does everyone think of Mac OS X?

I am waiting a few more months before I buy so Apple can work the bugs out.

What should I upgrade my RAM to? I am at 128 now running OS 9.1.

MacBoy

nille

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2001
Sweden
I was running OS X on 192MB. That's NOT enough, even with a G4! The hard drive constantly was working. I don't understand how Apple can say 128MB is sufficient.
Now I'm running on 448 MB and now everything is very smooth. (Except for the Finder)

PowerUser86

macrumors member
May 14, 2001
Kobe, Japan
Hopefully apple will get the ram issue straghtened out, so that people won't have to buy so much more ram. Although, if you want cheap RAM, go to memorytogo.com. They have very cheap ($292 for TiBook 512MB 1.25" stick, works with new DualUSB iBook as well) RAM to help you get OS X running smoothly for cheap.

PowerUser86

macrumors member
May 14, 2001
Kobe, Japan
Correction to previous post

the price of the TiBook and DualUSB iBook ram has dropped again. now only 268 bucks!! and another thing I forgot to mention, all the ram comes with a lifetime warranty!

flipper

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2001
OSX is sure gorgeous, and 10.0.4 is a big improvement, but i still cannot commit everyday use on any main computers because it still needs work. Office for OSX is a must, for example.

It's kind of like trying to replace a middle-aged secretary who know's what you have to do and can get it done extremely efficiently - with a young goodlooking PA (fresh with a Unix MBA) who does not know you, and is not sure what you need to get done. Sure, the OS9 secretary may not be as good looking as her OSX counterpart, and she may not have that "Unix" MBA, but when it comes to gettting things done, she still can't be beat. (for now at least). This is how it seems to me who is just an average user - no need for Unix , just a Mac.

Also, i feel current hardware setups are still a bit slow for OSX - it really feels like tomorrows OS on today's machines.

jkalman243

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2001
Love it

I love it..... Works perfectly fine on my PB G4.
The only problems I am having right now is freezing in Classic if I bother running it instead of changing the start up disk. And Two explorer bugs, one is the search queries never load they just keep spinning on a never ending search, two sometimes web site icons placed by sites on the desktop just open infinite windows till you quit explorer.
Other than that.... and in anticipation of these problems being fixed in 10.1, it is a kick ass operating system. I mean come on, a unix kernal is the way to go, hardware is handled by the system not by third parties. You don't have to worry about one bad program freezing your system while it loads or while it installs. It looks pretty too... but that is just frosting on the cake, open source code gives programmers an opportunity to make this new generation OS incredible over time. I'm giddy!

jkalman243

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2001
ooops

BTW i mean by freezing, certain games freeze in classic. But thanks to the darwin you just need to go into apple menu and click force quit. As far as games go the new ones coming out will all be Mac OS X compatable, don't know if they will upgrade a lot of old ones since it is up to translaters who probably move on to other projects fairly quick. I just hope Blizzard patches Diablo 2 for OS X, they are usually so good about being on top of things, I was surprised to not see any news on some type of patch.

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
dont understand.

I have 128 MB ram on my PB G3 400 1999 model. OS X is sickeningly slow. Will it run very nice and smooth if I upgrage to 256 MB ram?

- Kela

Ciao
Max

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
I'm kind of in the same boat here, I want to upgrade my girlfriend's iMac to OSX (so does she so it's cool). It's a 400 mhz with 320 ram, 10gig disk. Would that run fine? How much space does OSX take? I'm thinking it'll be ok because my grandparents just got an iMac 500 with 256 ram, and X is a laggy, but not painfully so. Hopefully extra ram will make up for less processor.

MattB

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2001
Its all in the bounces

I don't think that OSX is slow becuase of not enough ram. 10.0.4 is just slow period. I think once 10.1 is released OSX will run fine on 128megs.

Stryker

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2001
OS X 10.0.4 --> 10.1 Install

Does anyone have any help comments on how best to deal with the 10.1 "clean install" situation? It appears that Mac OS X 10.1 will NOT allow upgrading from earlier versions (10.0.4, etc.). It will do a clean install. Does this mean that you have to reformat your HD, backup your apps, etc. OR will it be similiar to a clean install under OS 9.x where it simply renames your System Folder to "old system" or something and allows you to manually drag and drop files back in to the new System folder?

Anyone from Apple know how this is going to work?

ebound

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2001
EGV, IL
Hey, my friend is using one of the 10.1 builds, cause he's in the ADC, and the 10.1 build was an update. Not a clean install. It's most likely gonna be an update. I HATE clean installs. They suck balzac. 10.1 is supposed to come out on either the 24th or 26th of September, and it's gonna kick arse. Or so I've seen from 10.1 build 5g48. There's a little window for the volume keys now! Plus, DVD player works amazingly! 10.1 will be the best OS ever. Better than Windoze XP.

troy wilson

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2001
osx is working great

i am running osx 10.1 5G59 on a firewire pb g3 with 384 mb of ram. i am a web developer / graphics professional with alot of ram gobbling system stressing tasks occuring on my mac 24/7. 3d rendering, video compositing and rendering, photoshop, http hosting etc. etc. i (with 10.1) have had nothing go wrong. it runs astonishly fast. it is bug free so far, and it is a absolute pleasure to use. i can start something processing here...go and start something here, and on and on with multi-tasking. it is sick to say the least. i am able to do everything and more than i did with os9. i didnt bother using osx before 10.1, and you shouldnt either. but now is the time. switch, expecially if you are just some normal user. my only gripe thus far is audio support. i have a home studio, and i have had problems with all the sequencers being incompatible with osx and the classic environment. hopefully this is cleared up soon. apple has done their part. come on developers!!! get your asses in gear!!!

Johnny Catbreath

akuma

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2001
I agree with troy wilson

os 10.1 is awesome.

running 10.1 on a B&W g3 400 mhz with 768 mb ram

Stryker

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2001
10.1 Update

Cool! Thanks for the info guys. I want 10.1 so bad I can taste it ... or maybe that's just the sugar from my Coke! Anyway, I can't wait. Heck, I'd even settle for a recent build.

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
Ram useage

People have a lot of complaints about not enough RAM, I've used OSX (10.0.4 public) on a number of systems this is how I rated them (my patience is pretty high for OSX)

iMac 233 G3: 96MB Ram: Too slow to use, blame it on the ATi I think, hardly useable, classic is worthless. 3.5

Powerbook 266Mhz G3: 64MB Ram: runs, keep to small apps, and one at a time. 6.0

AIO G3 266Mhz: 128MB Ram: This was my brother's computer, it ran OSX OK (Public Beta), but it was too slow for him, some people may find this config entry-level OK. 7.5

iBook Dual USB G3 500: 256MB Ram: This is my new laptop, I run OSX 10.0.4 on it all the time, it sleeps well, wakes up fast and runs quite quick. Truly useable in almost all cases. 8.0

PowerMac G4: 256MB Ram: Running w/256 the System Controlls open in 4 bounces. 8.5

PowerMac G4: 512MB Ram: I got an upgrade, now it opens in 2 bounces (hmm 2x Ram=2x performance holy sh**) 100% useable, except now I need software base station for the iBook, damn. Runs classic lighting fast, Finder is slower than I'd like, window resizing sucks, but those are all unavoidable. 9.5
----------
Running under Puma (10.1 public release) I THINK all the systems will be able to handle OSX, the imac will be useable, along with the powerbook. The AIO and iBook will become really quick OSX boxes, and my G4 will finally be able to kick the crap outta my freind's 1.0Ghz AMD in Photoshop.... (my other freind has a 1.12 AMD and that'll be more tricky to beat, hmm maybe a new DIMM)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.