Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
This weekend I spent a few hours installing SheepShaver and a Mac OS 9 system on my MBP with the hope of getting the OS 9 apps Unreal, Quake II, Duke Nuke'm AE, and Castle Wolfenstein, but to no avail. SheepShaver simply crashes. Are there any other alternatives for running such apps on Intel-based Macs? These are all Mac versions (i.e., the installer CDs do not have Intel compiled apps).

I have the OS X version of Quake I, so I'm able to run it on my MBP. Are there OS X versions of the others somewhere?

Thanks,

CM

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Your best bet is going to be to buy an OS 9-compatible Mac, such as a G3 or G4 tower. There are no alternatives for running Mac OS 9 3D Applications. SheepShaver does not emulate 3D hardware.

There are some extremely inexpensive G3 and G4s here:

http://www.baucomcomputers.com/

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Your best bet is going to be to buy an OS 9-compatible Mac, such as a G3 or G4 tower. There are no alternatives for running Mac OS 9 3D Applications. SheepShaver does not emulate 3D hardware.

There are some extremely inexpensive G3 and G4s here:

http://www.baucomcomputers.com/
Yep, and IMHO, SheepShaver doesn't work all that well in the first place.

Much easier to pick up an older Mac that will run Mac OS 9 natively, or in Classic mode.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
Yep, and IMHO, SheepShaver doesn't work all that well in the first place.

Much easier to pick up an older Mac that will run Mac OS 9 natively, or in Classic mode.

Yeah, b/c having a whole 'nother computer set up just to run a few games is easier than having them work on your main one. :rolleyes:

I keed, I keed. It's good advice, esp. b/c Sheepshaver is so far from primetime it's not funny - but still, sad there's no better emu alternative.

Quake 2, Duke Nukem 3DAE and Unreal (unofficial) are for OSX too.

Holy crap - Duke 3D on OS X! Your comment isn't exactly right, but gave me enough inspiration to do a quick search, and: http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18448

Wow.

To the OP's question, checking on Macgamefiles for OS X ports, official or not, evidently may be worth it. Just like me, you might not think to look there but could be pleasantly surprised.

EDIT: You need a second app to run Duke It Out in DC on OS X - http://dukenukem.4dresources.com/

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
Quake 2, Duke Nukem 3DAE and Unreal (unofficial) are for OSX too.

Thanks very much - I found Q2 and DN, but could not locate Unreal. Do you have a link for that?

Holy crap - Duke 3D on OS X! Your comment isn't exactly right, but gave me enough inspiration to do a quick search, and: http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18448

Thanks for that URL. I'm 2/3 of the way there. Now if I can only find Unreal.

Thanks to both of you.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
OK, thanks for that pointer. I figured out I can join without paying but when I go to the download I get a popup that says I don't have Winblows on my computer and that I need to right-click to download. I do that and I get a message that the file doesn't exist in my Safari download window. This is really frustrating...

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
Got most of 'em. I now have OS X versions of:

Quake
Quake II
Unreal
Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition

Still cannot locate an OS X version of Castle Wolfenstein, but I figured that would be the most difficult to get. Quite frankly, Unreal runs better on my Mac Mini under Rosetta than it ever did on my G5 iMac. That's remarkable.

nylock10

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2006
SheepShaver works fine on my Mac, might want to try the NewWorld ROM (can I say that in the forums? I apologize in advanced if not :eek:).

I'm also considering buying a Mac that will handle older PowerPC OSX and Classic games, I miss playing the games and want to relive them. Most work in SheepShaver, but others such as Giants Mecc and Birdie Shoot don't.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
SheepShaver works fine on my Mac, might want to try the NewWorld ROM (can I say that in the forums? I apologize in advanced if not :eek:).

Considering that if you have OS 8.6 or higher, you have the NewWorld ROM, I don't see why you can't say it.

--Eric

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005

I'm also considering buying a Mac that will handle older PowerPC OSX and Classic games, I miss playing the games and want to relive them. Most work in SheepShaver, but others such as Giants Mecc and Birdie Shoot don't.

I've installed SheepShaver and can run OS 8.6 and OS 9.0.4, but when I launch Unreal or Quake II, it crashes.

Yeah, Sheepshaver is very unstable with most games, esp. those demanding any 3D.

Thanks for the Unreal link!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.