Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Apple could continue to sell legacy PPC PowerMacs for a little while, but eventually ot does seem to be Apple's way to drop the legacy users. I guess in terms of businesses running a certain set of software, this is a rapid transition. In 2001 we were running OS9 on PPCs.

starnox

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
Who seriously runs classic anymore its been like 4 years. I haven't had to use classic once and I have had my mac for a year.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
starnox said:
Who seriously runs classic anymore its been like 4 years. I haven't had to use classic once and I have had my mac for a year.

Railroad Tycoon 1.0 and this awesome text-based basketball game I have.

I'm awesome in the basketball game, by the way. Over 27,000 career points. All time leader in blocked shots....

castlema

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2003
starnox said:

I would guess there will be classic support for the education market for a while. eMacs that could boot into OS 9 were available for quite a while in the education store because schools tend to keep using programs for years. There are still several teachers I know who still use Apple II's because they use a particular phonics program that was never updated.

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
starnox said:

Apple does. Much of their documentation is still produced using Adobe Framemaker. Adobe has never released a OS X port. I'd say that is a serious user.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
mrichmon said:
Apple does. Much of their documentation is still produced using Adobe Framemaker. Adobe has never released a OS X port. I'd say that is a serious user.

I weep at the absence of FrameMaker on OSX. Curse you, Adobe.

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Moof1904 said:
I weep at the absence of FrameMaker on OSX. Curse you, Adobe.

As do I. A viable solution for Framemaker is about the only thing holding me back from a MacBook Pro.

At this stage I see two options (hopes):
  1. maybe, maybe, maybe the rumored altivec and related improvements to Rosetta will allow Classic to run (I know, it's a long shot), or
  2. in August 2005, Adobe hinted at an announcement related to Framemaker and OS X to occur at a Framemaker conference in November 2005. It turned out that they were "not ready" so no announcement was made. Maybe if the Gods are smiling this will end up being related to an intel OS X port of Framemaker.

lexfuzo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
The heart of Europe
mrichmon said:
Any PowerMac you order today will run classic even 10 years from now.
I am quite happy that innovation proceeds - OS9 has already been outdated for some time :rolleyes:

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
lexfuzo said:
Any PowerMac you order today will run classic even 10 years from now.
I am quite happy that innovation proceeds - OS9 has already been outdated for some time :rolleyes:

Except that the drives will not be functional, or at best will have significant error rates.

In no way was I complaining about innovation or technology updates. Another poster made the assertion that noone seriously uses Classic for anything any more. That assertion was wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.