Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndmccormack

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
London, UK
ok...
My mate has a clean install of os10.3, much like myself.
But he needs os9 installed to run quark 4...

I have os9.0 software install cds for an old g4 powermac.
Can i boot up to these, install the os9.0, then update os9.0 to 9.2.2 with the update downloads from apple.com without harming osx???

cheers
Niall

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Depends on which PowerMac he has.

Only PowerMac G4s before the Digital Audio revision can boot from a Mac OS 9.0 CD, and install it.
If that can be done, then you can install it without harming Mac OS X. Just make sure you don't erase the disk...

If the Mac is a Digital Audio G4 (or later) you'll need a more recent copy of Mac OS 9. (Depending.. from 9.1 to 9.2.2).
The MDD G4 (non-FW 800 version) needs a Mac OS 9.2.2...

Maybe it would be easier to find a copy of the "System Folder" which is used by "Classic" (on your system for instance), and copy that to his Hard Drive.

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
done that

hi

just did this for my ti powerbook what you want to do is in osx download a program called tinker tool and then insert a system restore disc .

Then start up tinker tool and select it to show hidden files>

now you should see a dmg file named classic on ur restore double click it.

this will bring up a file called os9 components copy the system folder and os9 applications folder to the root level of ur harddrive.

start up classic to make sure what u did worked :)

now just download the update from apple , run it and ur done !

os9 9.2.2 is all urs

pm me if u got any questions !!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.