Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Inspired by the dicussion about the end of the Dropbox-Client for PPC I tried to establish file-sharing not only for my Tiger/Leopard-PPCs but also for os9.

Connectivity with Tiger/Leopard(PPC) and late OSX (ElCap) works fine and is easy to establish.

But it took me a while to find out, how things may work with os9:
"AppleMenu => Chooser => AppleShare (AppleTalk activated) => ServerIP-Address (192.168.xxx.xxx)"
After editing the credentials for the RemoteMac/Server there will be an Alias for each Server both on the os9-desktop and at the "AppleMenu => ...Servers"
Very convenient!
I managed to connect with my 12"G4-PowerBook/Leopard for file-sharing. Smooth handling!

Unfortunately so far no success to get connected with my 15" early-2008 MacBookPro (ElCapitan). Error messages claims "incompatible version of the AFP-protocol"

Anyone here with a clue to solve that problem?

I really wish to fully integrate my old os9 machines into our home-network and my workflow.
(IMAP, VNC, File-Sharing, webDAV, Office, Fax)
Getting easy access to file-sharing with a Dropbox-capable Mac would make the Clamshell and iMac-G3 a nice non-distracting workstation.

F5ECA9D9-DB5D-4C09-9D83-39FF08843AFD.jpeg
D64B73F5-CB10-485C-9174-78A0EEE09E9C.jpeg

Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Found some hints at "http://www.knubbelmac.de/themen/afp-server-vergleich.html"
Panther/Tiger/Leopard share AFP 2.2 with os9 (which sticks with AFP 2.x).
Tiger/Panther offer AFP up to version AFP 3.2 (which may communicate with OS X 10.7-12)
OSX 10.7-10.12 support AFP 3.0-3.4 but no AFP 2.x versions.
Since os9 stucks with AFP 2.x, there's obviously no way to get File-Sharing-access from os9 to a OSX 10.7-12 server. Damn!
The only workaround might be a "Mac in the middle"-solution with Leopard (physically/PPC or as a virtual machine).
But that doesn't solve the whole Dropbox-4-os9 thing.
Is there any SAMBA/SMB filesharing-solution for os9??? (since Apple seemed to drop AFP for SAMBA/SMB since ML/Mavericks)
Crazy/stupid: all my Macs (PPC-intel/os9-ElCap) may share files via Cloud/webDAV, but os9 is left out, when it comes to file sharing in the local network ...

Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Read through here:
https://happymacs.wordpress.com/2014/06/16/network-you-classic-mac-with-windows-part-1-using-dave/
Perhaps Dave (Thursby Software) will also allow you to connect an OS9 Mac with an Lion+ system.
I believe @eyoungren has recommended Dave for OS X in the past. Eric do you have any experience with Dave for OS9?
Oh, thanks - Looks promising! "Dave" is on my download-list for os9 for a long time... but I didn't knew, what to to with it and where it's really for ... Obviously it's SAMBA. That might be the clue. Have to give it a try. Thanks!!!

Reactions: AphoticD

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Read through here:
https://happymacs.wordpress.com/2014/06/16/network-you-classic-mac-with-windows-part-1-using-dave/

Perhaps Dave (Thursby Software) will also allow you to connect an OS9 Mac with an Lion+ system.

I believe @eyoungren has recommended Dave for OS X in the past. Eric do you have any experience with Dave for OS9?
DAVE is basically a third party SAMBA (SMB) Client/Server. It lets you connect to Windows shares (usually server shares) and Windows computers to connect to you.

Apple only came around to the standard for SMB with Yosemite. Prior to that they were using their own flavor, which is one of the reasons I hated Tiger. It never worked.

I had the idea that DAVE could be installed and then the OS9 Mac could connect to the newer OS X Mac via SMB (instead of AFP, which the Chooser uses). OS 9 has no native ability to use SMB.

You're wanting versions 3-5. Version 6 is when they went solely to OS X.

You still connect using the Chooser, but you select the DAVE option from there.

But here's the thing. Thursby (the company that makes DAVE and AdmitMac), is very, very good at protecting their IP (which is why I hesitated to bring this up). DAVE is expensive. If you're willing to pay this may be an option, but if you are not and still want to try it you are in for a search to find it.

Versions past 6.1 are extremely difficult to find. Finding the magic digits that makes it all work is even harder.

But for a robust, enterprise version of standard Samba for Mac, DAVE is the gold standard.
[doublepost=1548813212][/doublepost]
I remember Dave... good guy... :)
Well, he's a little kid, but basically…yeah. Now, his dad Thursby… :)

Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
@eyoungren: thanks! all your information is a real help.
I'm gonna try DAVE!
A lot of money is spent on "outdated" hardware - there should be something left for intellectual property.
If DAVE is the clue to get PPC/os9 stuff connected with current hard-/software and lifts things back into business ... that's a real value.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
@eyoungren: thanks! all your information is a real help.
I'm gonna try DAVE!
A lot of money is spent on "outdated" hardware - there should be something left for intellectual property.
If DAVE is the clue to get PPC/os9 stuff connected with current hard-/software and lifts things back into business ... that's a real value.
Be warned…once you start using DAVE you won't want to go back. I like Leopard because it handles Windows sharing better, but if I could ever get DAVE for it, I'd install it in a hearbeat.

DAVE just makes things a hell of a lot easier. When I was using an OS9 Mac at work as our Applescript server, DAVE is what allowed me to run Folder Action Scripts on mounted Windows shares.

DAVE is worth every expensive penny.

Reactions: AphoticD

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Got DAVE 4.x kind of working.
Too stupid to setup the whole thing ...
Just realized that I don't now nothing about how to make my MBP/ElCap a SAMBA-server.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Got DAVE 4.x kind of working. Too stupid to setup the whole thing ...
How can I make my MBP/ElCap a SAMBA-server?
Go to Sharing (System Preferences) and make sure it's on and all your credentials are set.

Sharing.png

Click on Options on the right…

System Preferences.png

Make sure Share files and folders using SMB is checked and make sure you check the box for the user account on your Mac that you want to have access. Click OK. That's it.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Go to Sharing (System Preferences) and make sure it's on and all your credentials are set.
View attachment 819443
Click on Options on the right…
View attachment 819444
Make sure Share files and folders using SMB is checked and make sure you check the box for the user account on your Mac that you want to have access. Click OK. That's it.

Thanks! Checked that all these settings are correct on my MBP A1260. They seem to be ok indeed - I did need SMB for some occasions somtime somehow and made the setup some time ago, I don't know when ...
But I can't get os9/DAVE4/NetBIOS run properly. Every time NetBIOS-error #5 and no detection of my A1260 MBP.
On my os9 machine settings are: DHCP on, TCP/IP on, AFP on. I'm able to connect with my 12"PB via AFP.
All trials to connect os9/DAVE4 with my MBP-A1260/ElCap were refused.
Maybe DAVE4 is to old to connect with the ElCap-SAMBA-protocol?

---
Update:
Made proper corrections for the "Workgroup" settings within DAVE.
Started "Win2k" with VMware-Fusion on my MBP-A1260.
That virtual Win2k shows up in my os9/chooser/DAVE-panel and is fully accessable,
But trials to get access to the Macs filesystem via the virtual-Win2k connection failed, since I cannot share those folders outside of the virtual machine.
Still no way to get direct access to the Mac via DAVE, but a progress anyway: I could make a VNC-connection to that MBP/ElCap, move files from the Dropbox-folder into the virtual machine via ScreenSharing, then access those files via DAVE on my os9 device. (Well - only prove of concept ... - the mission is, to link os9 directly to a synched Dropbox-folder. Gonna check virtual Win7pro )

6B86AD33-2240-45EB-A4D8-BABF69961431.jpeg 396011C4-7E65-4378-BA11-0CFA9168B52D.jpeg 72A3B246-F71C-4872-A973-404BB716A02A.jpeg

Update: another step forward
Found this article about connecting OSX/Win with SAMBA (https://computers.tutsplus.com/tuto...n-smb-server-in-os-x-and-windows-8--mac-46276)
Realized, that I had to setup correct WORKGROUP-name within the SystemSettings/Network/WINS-panel.
After this, I'm able to view both my "Win2k-VM"-shared folders and my MBP-A1260/ElCap with in DAVE's network browser, but I'm still unable to connect with the MBP ...
SMB2OSX-Failure.png

--------------------------------------------------

How to connect an os9-client for file-sharing with a post-Leopard-Mac follow this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...9-and-post-leopard-osx-on-intel-macs.2178732/

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.