Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
In Yosemity, im downloading ElCapitan and Siera from the AppStore...
1. where are the downloaded dmg files located?
2. how can i make bootable flashUSB drives out of them?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Reactions: zoran and Weaselboy

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What if i place the "OSXinstallation" dmg file into a HD partition and then boot from that partition as a startup disk, execute dmg file etc??

RumorzGuy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Guam, Mariana Islands, U.S.A.
What if i place the "OSXinstallation" dmg file into a HD partition and then boot from that partition as a startup disk, execute dmg file etc??

Just a small correction. They are not actually DMG files that you download, per se. They are installer apps.

However, if you do a "Show package contents", you will see that within that application bundle, there is actually a DMG in Contents/SharedSupport called "InstallESD.dmg".

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Right now i can only use a Hard drive that has a free partition. Can i put in there the installer and boot the mac selecting that partition?

Last edited:

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
You can't just drop a random file on a random drive, and expect to boot from that random file. You need to install an OS.

Last edited:

RumorzGuy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Guam, Mariana Islands, U.S.A.
Zoran, in case you still don't understand what he is saying, what you download from Apple is an application bundle. You cannot boot your system from an application bundle, even if it is an installer. You need to have an installed system somewhere to boot from. That is, why for example, those of us who have unsupported Macs, have to take that installer app, use a patch, and install the system that the installer app contains on a flash drive or external drive or partition, and then from there, use that to install the system on our machine's internal hard drive. That is precisely what prisstratton is telling you to do, using diskmakerx. In other words, you need to actually install the system that the installer app contains on the partition that you mentioned.

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
If you just double click on the installer in the application folder, it will run and ask you for a location to install the OS. That is all there is to it. But you should make copies of the installers in another folder before you do that because the installer automatically erases itself after it has completed the install.

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
DiskmakerX has caused problems for many. The previously posted commands to run in Terminal have never failed (I have done them myself many times). Plus, it's always good to learn how to use Terminal. It's a very powerful tool.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Just a moment guys, i copied the installer to my external hard drives partition. Restarted my mac -holding the "option" key- and then i could choose between all the available drives that are installed including the partition. When i clicked on that partition, the installer came up and was ready to install the selected OSX.
Doesn't this make sense?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"What if i place the "OSXinstallation" dmg file into a HD partition and then boot from that partition as a startup disk, execute dmg file etc??"

The -BEST WAY- is to create a bootable USB install drive, as suggested above.

I've found this out through my own experiences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.