Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canadianmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2002
Ottawa
Ok...I need some help. I want to upgrade the current OS on my iMac G3 400. Its current set-up includes OS 8.6 and 384 Mb of Ram. Any ideas on how OSX will run on this set-up?

Mighty Mac

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2002
I have an Imac 400 mhs with 384 ram running 10.1.2 works great. I would say if you are not going to buy a new mac soon you should buy OS X. I find it to be stable and faster then os 9. (have not used os 8.x.x)

keithcobbett

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2002
Hillsborough, NH
canadianmac - OS 8.x.x is lousy compaired to OS 9.x.x or OS X. If you plan on using your mac for anything but using simpletext, upgrade and use OS X as your primary system. I have been using it as my primary system for about 3 months now and it's great. I don't have any issues.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR

...works great for what I do (typing, internet, light 3d work, photoshop, mail, a little programming, etc... when I type vm_stat in terminal it always says 0 pageouts). I suppose if you run a *lot* of apps at once, or mess with 1200dpi photoshop documents you would need more. Anyway, OSX is awesome. It has some flaws (what doesn't), but overall it's awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.