Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2001
boston
I spotted this on news.com today... so it seems like we are in for a treat!
=====================
Apple to harvest OS X upgrade
By Joe Wilcox
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
September 24, 2001, 2:15 p.m. PT

Apple Computer is expected to unveil on Tuesday a long-anticipated upgrade to the Mac operating system.

Mac OS X version 10.1 is considered by many analysts, Mac users and software developers to be the most important operating system upgrade that Apple will release this year.

The new version will be available from Mac dealers and Apple's own retail stores at no cost for existing OS X owners. Everyone else will pay $129.
=====================
URL: http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-7286739.html?tag=mn_hd

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Hope

I sure hope so, I would like to see os x on my powerbook tomorrow. Oh well if its not tomorrow then its sometime soon.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
actually

The rumor has it that while 10.1 will be unveiled tomorrow (Tues), you won't be able to get your hands on it until Friday at mindnight.

Michael Macal

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2001
AZ
OS X 10.1 9/24/01

OS X 10.1 was on the new servers delivered to me today. The apple engineer that installed it would only do so on the grounds that I not tell anyone until it's offical release. (sorry) I have the installer CD and it is certainly 10.1. For everone else that has to wait, you won't have to wait long. I really haven't checked out the differeneces yet, but I can confirm that it's well beyond a golden master.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: OS X 10.1 9/24/01

Originally posted by Michael Macal
OS X 10.1 was on the new servers delivered to me today. The apple engineer that installed it would only do so on the grounds that I not tell anyone until it's offical release. (sorry) I have the installer CD and it is certainly 10.1. For everone else that has to wait, you won't have to wait long. I really haven't checked out the differeneces yet, but I can confirm that it's well beyond a golden master.

What do you mean "well beyond a golden master"? A GM *is* the final release...so if any of you have Developer privileges and put your hands on 5G64, then you have the final 10.1 release.

Anyway, most of the developers I've heard from give it rave reviews...

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
burn a copy at the store?

I believe I read either on this site, or on another that the Apple Stores will be giving out copies of the 10.1 if you bring in a blank CD-R. At first I thought this was ridiculous and one of the stores employees was just "hooking someone up" but then reading that Apple is doing this as a free upgrade, it makes sense. Bring every one in to theh store and have them check out the new stuff while they wait for the burn to complete!

Any word on more free T-Shirts!?

carnacious

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2001
Any idea how that'll work in the U.K., i.e. is it likely that authorised retailers will do something similar

GadgetLover

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2001
Mac OS X 10.1 OFFICIALLY on-sale now!

According to Apple's own website (see OSX section), Apple OS X 10.1 is NOW officially on-sale through the Apple Store; the update program permits upgrading from 10.x to 10.1 for $19.95 (includes both 10.1 CD and 9.2.1 CD) OR can [potentially] receive the same from AUTHORIZED Apple resellers (e.g., CompUSA) starting on Saturday!

troy wilson

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2001
5G64

As promised, the 10.1 update is smoooooth. It updates quickly (if your smart enough to not install all the language options) and it runs like a champ. OS9 starts up and runs classic progs just swell, and the window refreshes and resizes are like "butter". Nothing much has changed from the 5G40 (and up) builds, but it is stable and unwavering. I can slap the **** out of any uppity program i want via protected memory, and i can launch 10 different processes at once and not worry. It is sick. I have been using 5G64 for about 4 days now, and it is an operating system miracle.

d8n_two

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2001
CompUSA

CompUSA officials have said that not all stores will carry the update-only CDs. In fact, they wouldn't even name the locations that will. You might check before relying on them. If you ordered 10.0 from the Apple Online Store, you can get your update order processed automatically and speed up the ridiculously long delivery time.

d8n_two

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2001
boston
sideline note in all of this

since i purchased OSX beta & OSX, I recieved an email voucher towards the purchase of stuff at the Apple Store - did anyone else get this?

ps. I am DYING to get 10.1 on my machine... whoot !!!!!!

d8n_two

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2001
e-mail voucher

Yeah, I got the e-mail also. I called them, and the salesman said they have a supply that will ship maybe by the end of the week. If you get your order in early you can get in on this supply. After that, it's 2-3 week, but that's still better than 6-12 weeks on the mail in voucher form.

d8n_two

Classic

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2001
Immediate Update

For those of you in the San Francisco Area....

Apple is giving out free updates to 10.1 at Seybold. I cut out of work early this afternoon and went by the Moscone Center. Registered as an exhibits only attendee (for free) then walked across the street into Seybold.

I must say that Seybold is a Mac Haven. I probably saw 300 Cinema screens and G4s around the place.

Apple's booth is just handing out the upgrade CD - no hassles.

So, now I'm running 10.1

Installation worked like a charm, albeit about a 15 minute process. That was with a custom install, not loading the roughly 150MB of various languages...

All in all, it was about 360MB.

It is quite responsive and zippy.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought that IDVD2 would be on the 10.1 update. It's not. Or if it is, I can't find it.

Any ideas?

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2001
boston
iDVD2 will be released later - it's late to the party.

man, i envy you... i gotta wait until Saturday, home my girlfriend understands that i NEED to get to the Apple Store and get my copy. I imagine the line will be out the door (people with blank CDs)...

ugh. It would be lovely to stroll and snag a copy. Any chance of goin back there & snagging a copy to send OverNight?

Classic

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2001
Sorry chief.

If Seybold were open after 5:00, I'd go by, no problem. But my boss wouldn't be down with me leaving early again tomorrow. Besides, If I picked it up tomorrow, I'd have to send it Thursday, and you wouldn't get before Friday. So, what's an extra day?

Thanks for the iDVD info.

Oh yeah, By the way. Deep sleep compatability issues with my SCSI PCI card have been resolved with 10.1!

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2001
boston
how about this:

put your machine to sleep & wake it back up. Any performance issues with that?

thanks about the Seybold thing. I guess I can wait afterall ;)

moi37

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2001
Paris
What is the purpose of this forum?

Is it an arena for imbecile-like comments about the problems this or that person might have in getting MacOS X because his girlfriend may approve, or the fact that he/she may be "dying" - unfortunate word in these times - to get the OS installed on his machine? If your thoughts are about as interesting as the smell of your crotch then maybe you should just write what you have to say on a piece of paper and then throw it in the garbage bin, that way the rest of us don't have to wade through the junk to read something worthwhile.

GadgetLover

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2001
G64 is NOT final release

I have heard that developers received builds as late as G68. Thus, the TRULY last build is 68 or later (because Apple may have made a few internal--non-released to developers--changes in the FINAL 10.1 CD). Thus, I have heard that 68 (or later if changes were made) is final. ... Can anyone confirm this?

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: G64 is NOT final release

Originally posted by GadgetLover
I have heard that developers received builds as late as G68. Thus, the TRULY last build is 68 or later (because Apple may have made a few internal--non-released to developers--changes in the FINAL 10.1 CD). Thus, I have heard that 68 (or later if changes were made) is final. ... Can anyone confirm this?

No, the final build was indeed G64. There were other internal/later builds -- and there still are, as development for 10.2 (Jaguar, I think) is already in progress. But G64 is the one that made the cut for GM for 10.1.

igordi

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2001
Got 1 On Hold

Well, just like everyone else, I was excited to get a copy of 10.1 but didn't want to pay the $20 (especially cause I'm from Canada, more like $30). I just called my local Apple retailer and asked what the deal was with upgrade disks. He told me that they would be getting maybe 30 or 40 to give away for free and he took my name and number to call me on Friday when they got in. Hopefully it happens. What do you guys think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.