Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
beside the performance and split screen feature, i'm rather disappointed.
I feel as OSX has been left behind without any innovation - seems all they did was catching up to some Windows features (as the split screen)

- where is SIRI for OSX ? (W10 will have cortana this summer!)

Reactions: T909

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
beside the performance and split screen feature, i'm rather disappointed.
I feel as OSX has been left behind without any innovation - seems all they did was catching up to some Windows features (as the split screen)

- where is SIRI for OSX ? (W10 will have cortana this summer!)
Yeah, I would have loved to see Siri too.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Most of the stuff is in OS X; smarter Spotlight with natural language processing, data detectors, dictation and so on. We just don't have a single assistant to speak to handle all of that automatically in the background.

Honestly, I could care less about Siri. The performance/stability is the most important factor for me and I'm liking what I'm seeing so far from the first beta.

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
It seems that spotlight is becoming more and more what siri is. They probably don't see voice as a very in-demand interface for full-on PCs

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
I don't find myself using siri that much now as it is...that may change with iOS 9 but i'm not getting my hopes up. Don't see cortana on windows as a huge feature. I've used it on the Windows 10 beta and it was ok just I didnt' see myself using it.

Sikh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
Just so you know, Snap is the only feature they "took" from windows. Besides that, Windows 10 took Mission Control, Expose, etc from OS X. So Snap was coming, its not a surprise. Apple cared about perfecting the multitasking on the multi monitor / multi desktop level first. Snapping can be done easily and its been proven by ShiftIt(free/open source) and Divvy(paid).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Siri would have been nice, but I think they need to focus on stability and performance. Adding such a major feature to OS X would have required a lot more time and energy. In other words, they'd not be able to do the bug fixes and performance enhancements AND give us Siri.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
After 3 point updates, Yosemite still sucks on some stuff like WiFi and UI lag. I'm really glad they didn't waste time on adding features most people won't use in order to focus on performance.

Reactions: leventozler

T909

Suspended
Aug 16, 2008
Europe
As I've already said I was very disappointed in new OS X release as well and I was waiting for Siri since Mavericks.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
I couldn't really care about Siri on mac... but I'm sure it will come.

OSX catching up.... now that is a bit of a joke. With Windows 10, Microsoft is actually finally catching up with OSX. Windows have implemented multi-desktop mission control after how many years! Now that is a highly useful feature. It also seems the search on Win 10 is finally of some use. Also a clean UI at last.

T909

Suspended
Aug 16, 2008
Europe
I couldn't really care about Siri on mac... but I'm sure it will come.

OSX catching up.... now that is a bit of a joke. With Windows 10, Microsoft is actually finally catching up with OSX. Windows have implemented multi-desktop mission control after how many years! Now that is a highly useful feature. It also seems the search on Win 10 is finally of some use. Also a clean UI at last.
I still think that Windows 7 is the best. However Windows 10 will be free if you buy it on the first year.

I used to laugh at people complaining that MS will drop the support on Windows XP. Look at Apple… Lion is already unsupported.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Just so you know, Snap is the only feature they "took" from windows. Besides that, Windows 10 took Mission Control, Expose, etc from OS X. So Snap was coming, its not a surprise. Apple cared about perfecting the multitasking on the multi monitor / multi desktop level first. Snapping can be done easily and its been proven by ShiftIt(free/open source) and Divvy(paid).
With that avatar you should probably be aware that Microsoft copied that feature from KDE/Compiz.

"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.