Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tnbriggs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
Mac Pro 1,1 circa 2006 running El Capitan EFI hacked. Booting Lion & Windows 10 from platter hard drives & also Windows 7 from SSD in internal drive bay 4. Bootcamp can see Windows 7 drive and boot to it. But in El Cap and Lion OSX the drive isn’t recognized and doesn’t show up. On OSX startup get the prompt “The disk you inserted is not readable by this computer. Initialize, Ignore, Eject.” I always choose ignore. The Win7 disk has boot camp assistant on it but only yields “About” or “Help” when clicked. Any way short of reinstalling Windows 7 to get OSX to see the Win 7 drive? Disk Utility in OSX sees the drive but doesn’t know what it is and it’s marked as not writeable - see attached screenshot.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-05 at 15.19.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-05 at 15.19.23 PM.png
    279.6 KB · Views: 63

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Standard Windows drive, NTFS format, is not writeable from a stock OS X system, unless you have installed NTFS drivers on the Mac system.
But, even an NTFS drive should be read-only, so readable from OS X, unless (maybe) you have encrypted the drive from Windows?? (Bitlocker?)

tnbriggs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
Standard Windows drive, NTFS format, is not writeable from a stock OS X system, unless you have installed NTFS drivers on the Mac system.
But, even an NTFS drive should be read-only, so readable from OS X, unless (maybe) you have encrypted the drive from Windows?? (Bitlocker?)
Thanks for the response. Windows7 drive is not encrypted. Win7 install was done from Win7 Pro distribution DVDs. When the MacPro is booted into Win 7 I can see and write to the disk through my network from within High Sierra on my Macbook Pro 8,2 using SMB network address.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Then... What format is that Windows 7 drive? I will guess NTFS.
I don't think that your OS X system will tell you, so use the Disk Management tool in Windows to make sure about the format.
Boot to your Windows 10 system, and try to repair the Windows7 drive from Windows.

tnbriggs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions. Disk Management in Win7 shows the SSD as fully functioning NTFS drives. DM in Win10 doesn’t see them as NTFS drives. See screenshots. Also when I boot into Win10 it usually scans the Win7 boot disk (K) and repairs it before Win10 loads. I noticed that DM in both Windows versions see the disk as a dynamic disk instead of a basic disk. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

Trying a different approach, I thought that perhaps if I tried to install Boot Camp Assistant into the Win7 drive that might help. Downloaded BCA v4, which Apple says is the right one for my MacPro 1,1, from the Apple website but the install fails when it tries to start the KeyAgent service. Thinks I don’t have sufficient privileges, even though I am an adminstator, started BCA setup with adminstrator rights and have UAC turned off. ’Tis a puzzlement.

diskmgmtwin7-inwin7.JPG diskmgmtwin7-fromwin10.JPG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.