Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cardsnk

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
I have this bug where it is slow to delete files or folder in the finder, around 5-10 seconds or so. I have tried to delete finder.plist, relaunching finder, reset smc and pram to no avail, even using first aid in disk utility. Anyone to be of help? Is this related to caches? Thanks a lot! Here is a video clip of the problem:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I have experienced this multiple times, from early El Capitan beta to the most current one. I guess this is a known issue for El Capitan.

Cardsnk

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Are you still experiencing it now? Thanks for the reply, Not so sure though on how to fix it or if the upcoming release will fix it. Submitted an Apple Feedback regarding this issue and awaiting response.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Are you still experiencing it now? Thanks for the reply, Not so sure though on how to fix it or if the upcoming release will fix it. Submitted an Apple Feedback regarding this issue and awaiting response.
Slow deletion only happens when I delete over 500 files, recently. For single, small one, it is ok.

Interestingly to say, Windows can delete even over 8000 files in one minute or less.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Things that might cause this would include:

• A Time Machine backup in progress
  • Spotlight indexing occurring
  • Hard drive is near capacity
  • Background network activity
  • Something hogging CPU that shouldn't be

But it seems not to be any of the above.

You could test a new user account account to see if the problem exists there.

I've had wonky Finder issues through the years and it seems a reinstall has always cleared them up for me (after wasting a lot of time trying to find a simple fix). You could reinstall EC over what you have now and see if that clears it up.

mrtewks

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2015
Yeah I have this bug for a month or two now and it's exasperating! One clue: I found a posting that said to delete finder prefs etc and restart the finder and it worked the first time I tried it! It was just like old times with files deleting instantly and moving to other folders weightlessly just like they alway have. But then I put my prefs back and the bug was back and now I can't get rid of it no matter how many times I delete the prefs following the same instructions etc. So weird. So annoying. Help

Cardsnk

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Yeah I have this bug for a month or two now and it's exasperating! One clue: I found a posting that said to delete finder prefs etc and restart the finder and it worked the first time I tried it! It was just like old times with files deleting instantly and moving to other folders weightlessly just like they alway have. But then I put my prefs back and the bug was back and now I can't get rid of it no matter how many times I delete the prefs following the same instructions etc. So weird. So annoying. Help
Simply the same as my experience. :(

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Beginning with Mavericks, Finder prefs have been cached by the system and simply deleting the plist file doesn't necessarily/usually change the cache. The cache changes the plist file back after a restart.

El Capitan has introduced further System security so any searches you do on the web about how to delete finder prefs should be narrowed to El Capitan. What worked on Yosemite or prior systems may not work in El Capitan.

Additionally, there are system files other than plists that may be corrupted (such as .sfl) so research carefully.

Reactions: Partron22

mrtewks

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2015
Wow cool! Where's the cache! I'll delete that too! It's pretty weird how everything is totally fine except it takes 20 seconds to delete or move a file.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Try double clicking on one of those files you've just deleted.
Chances are nothing will happen, because the Finder has already deleted it, and is just taking its sweet time showing that action on your screen.
Finder actions have been handled asynchronously since half of forever ago. That can make things slow, or at least appear slow, when the system has other, more important things to do.

Cardsnk

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
I tried changing my archiving app (The Unarchiver) to Keka. things went well on deleting and opening, back to normal, i dont know if it is with the app but mine is fixed now.

otribin

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2017
ANSWER
  • Open System Preferences > Accessibility > Mouse and TrackPad
  • Adjust the Double-click speed to something faster.

BobZune

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
USA
ANSWER
  • Open System Preferences > Accessibility > Mouse and TrackPad
  • Adjust the Double-click speed to something faster.

Thank you, otribin! You have solved an annoying issue I had to put up with for years! [Even after writing to Apple developers long ago, several times!]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.