Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tommy!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2001
NH
I was just wondering... If Mac OSx were to be ported to run on intel/equivelant machines, and you could buy it how many would ditch apple hardware and put OSX on PCs? Like an 1100 dollar compaq with a 1.7GHz P4, 512 megs of ram, an 80 gig hard drive, and a 16MB nVidia graphics card? not such a bad deal... :-/

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
If I put it on a P.C I would use an AMD processor. I would buy real Apple desktops but cheap P.C notebooks

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
DONT CROSS OVER!!!

Hi

We should avoid porting to Windows at all cost!

Wintel hardware sucks, the AMD processor is good but not as good os and PowerPC.

Guy

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
it is not us porting to windows, but having OS X enlighten the great unwashed masses of the pc evil empire

a pc with OS X is one less pc with windows

a dollar made from apple hardware sales is a dollar earned for apple, inc. just like a dollar earned from a pc maker buying OS X for their machines is also a dollar earned for apple, inc

remember, apple is a business

go apple, inc!

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
also...

gates and co. did not get where they were selling mice and keyboards, they made their empire through software

when steve jobs was ousted from apple in the 80s, in his sometimes vulnerable fashion said, "My biggest mistake was not realizing that Apple was a software company first."

hindsight is 20-20, but just imagine where apple would be if it filled the shoes where microsoft stepped in when apple wouldn't port mac os (or whatever it was called then) to all the pc makers

compaq, dell, hp, ibm, toshiba, sony, e-machines, and the rest would be running OS 9 and OS X right now and apple would be the biggest software giant in the business and thus immensely richer

the profit margin for computer hardware in this industry is dismal, but the profit margin for software is amazing (something like 31% profit for microsoft)...so every dollar lost in a potential apple hardware purchase would be more than made up for in margin for the software sales and "sales" it would be...i mean, would you choose windows xp over os x?

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-08-2001 at 07:03 PM]

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Not meaning...

I am not meaning to sound "Un- Apple" like but I don't think I would like apple to be as big a Microsoft.

It is a special thing to use a Mac, lets not become evil empire 2.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
that's like being a baseball player on the arizona diamonbacks minor league farm team and turning down the opportunity to play in the big leagues and make more money because...the stadiums are so huge and it's less imtimate and i rather like riding on school buses and getting paid 20 thousand a year

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
It would be hard to be a BIG, LOVE-ABLE company. I can't think of favorable monopoly but if Apple became one that truely would be "Different".

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
My P.C friend loves the Mac OS but he's too poor to get a good Mac. He likes the fact that's run on UNIX. Yes he would run OS X if it was ported.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
XP is so dynamically different than windows me and windows 2000 that windows users have to almost relearn their os right now...so now would be the time to port os x since the windows world is in the "rebuilding and relearning stage" which i think will last for at least 18 months

apple is loveable now but i would also love them if they became really big

if microsoft can deal with compatibility issues then so can apple...it almost seems to be a birthright for apple to have the market...i mean, they invented the first "personal computer"

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
XP is a downright good OS, no matter how many flames it will bring me. It's stable, easy to use, and clean. For me its too little too late and I've already moved on.

At the same time i have to respect m$ in some way shape or form for the sheer amount of hardware and broad range of companies they have to support "out of the box" in their OS. This is where Apple gains an advantage by maintaining such a tight control over its hardware.

OS X is where it's at. Past (UNIX/OS9) present (Linux/UNIX and Windows(sueme))and future (Mac/UNIX/BSD)are all represented in this OS and its beautiful. I love such an open base as opposed to clunky m$ code.

weeeeeee!

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
sparkley,

two more posts! congrats

do you think apple's tight control over their hardware is still do-able and the company can at the same time port os x to intel...because they seem like different issues and one should not affect the other

this is definitely a crucial time for apple and they could gain some ground now that they have got good reviews consistently for os x

i don't see the fear people have of apple getting bigger...on the pc side, sony is huge yet they put out good computers and even if you don't like their computers, other products which they put out are still the most sought after in the electronics industry

for me, i don't like to be such a small minority that i have to buy my stuff from a catalog and not be able to get software at office depot or staples (in the catalog, it is not so easy to find out minimum requirements and hard disk space required for software titles)

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-08-2001 at 10:38 PM]

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
Listen brothers and sisters, I have seen the light, and the bulb it eminates from is a technicolor rainbow shaped like an Apple I'm a convert, I used an apple 2e, then a Pentium 166, then an AMD 1GHz, and now i've got my trusty go anywhere Ibook G3 500 MHz, and the wintel machine well its dusty :) I upgraded to XP a while back, noticed how much of an eyesore it could be, then went back to a bloated Millenium, even though its a giant leap for Wintel kind, its still at least 10 years away from anything Apple ever produced and at least 15 away from OS X.1, see with apple i never had to relearn anything when switching over, with wintel and XP i frankly didnt want to take the time to do so. Now, if they could port X to a wintel machine, which i'm sure they have done already, I would love it because it would mean my wintel was a mac :) and a 1GHz mac at that. Personally i think they should port it, and every quarter introduce a new i. device, like a camera with a HD that doubles as a webcam, or DV cam with a HD, etc. and there own browser for mac and PC, and let ipod function on pc along with itunes, and lets see how sales skyrocket, even gates said he wanted one. and all this should culminate in either a webtablet mac or a handheld that could blow away anything else out there. The one thing I dont like about MAC OS is the fact that even the dual 800's takes forever and a day to boot up compared to my pc with XP did, I dont know why open transport takes so long to process in 9.2, but speed is the factor to overcome, if you could get it running in 30 seconds, even 45, Itd be heaven and another thing someone answer me this in 10.1 when i goto system preferences and open up startup disk it takes like 15 - 30 seconds until i can close it after choosing 9.2. anyway enough ranting for me tonight and as a first timer i may have overstepped usual bounds here and there. G'night and thank the big guy up stairs someone is going to protect us from the devil, i mean bill gates :)

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
It Will Never Happen

CISC PROCESSOR.. bad

RISC PROCESSOR.. good

RISC CAN DO CISC
CISC CAN NOT DO CISC...

benmac

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2001
Brussels (Belgium)
I don't think Apple would sell many computers if we could use Mac OS X on an Intel or AMD processor. Therefore, Apple will have to stop producing harware, make it cheaper or make it even more innovative to make people still want to buy them.

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
reply :)

As Steve Jobs once said, Apple is a software company first, hardware is second. i mean hell look where the devil, i mean Billy Gates got without selling computers, 100 billion dollar personal net worth, shouldnt there be some kind of law against being that wealthy, think about all the people that could be helped with just one billion of that money, but no i'm gonna live in the woods in a supercool house and be a nerd!

[Edited by davidc2182 on 11-09-2001 at 11:12 AM]

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
I dont understand danny.

Processors are not like RISC Vs CISC anymore, they borrow parts off each other. macs lean towards RISC more than PCs, but they do not use a RISC processor.

Processors are alot more similar than what they used to be in the RISC/CISC debate.

Maybe i have misunderstood what you have said, i am not sure.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
I wouldnt ditsch apple hardware for pc hardware. I would though buy OSX for my PC. And when i had the money i would buy a new mac.

But i do know that %80 of my PC friends would buy OSX if it was good on the PC, because they are so impressed with it on the mac.

And anyway, selling software like that right now would jeapordise the sales of the G5. It looks like apple will move a hell of a way in the next year.

Maybe one day but not today.

Disdain

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2001
Australia
I have heard of this before their use to be a site devoted to getting osx for intel i don't know if it still around though, perhaps it is. all i can say is if those pc users want osx then they should have to get a mace to do so, with the g5 i am sure many devoted pc users will change over. so if you are some whining ass like the people on the site who where demanding apple made osx available for intel users then you can go shove it is all i can say

MACST3R

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2001
no comments

FROM DAVID...::
....i mean Billy Gates got without selling computers, 100 billion dollar personal net worth, shouldnt there be some kind of law against being that wealthy....
------------------------
I don't know by all respect whats in some peoples mind. Isn't the US a country of freedom? Why would you take away the fruit of this man. He worked hard for being in this position. True, Windows ain't my favorite but also i don't care. I do care about the mac society and the stuff whats coming up.

So much for this post!

And putting Mac OS in a PC? That really does sound stupid. Why would i buy a BMW and put its engine in a Toyota?????

Apple rules!
MACST3R™

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.