Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soundsystem00

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2016
I went through facebook and was backup up a lot of photos. ALOT. One of the galleries had 2000 photos. I had an external hard drive hooked up and had Safari set to download each picture straight to the hard drive.

After about 100 photos, safari starting moving in slow motion. Then finder started moving in slow motion. I restarted Safari and tried again, it worked for about 10 photos then started doing it again. The finder just froze after that. Luckily I was able to eject the hard drive.

I had to restart the computer and when I booted up, it would not boot up. It got to about 80% on the status bar and froze. I had to power off by force and start back up again. It started up that time.

I just feel like that is way too much of a meltdown just for saving some pictures. Why did it do this? A computer this new should be able to handle it. It's a late 2014 macbook air. Sometime I wonder if I have a virus. I get a lot of the "Ad choice" things when I am browsing that has Ads of stuff I have shopped for, and it doesn't look healthy.

I have a virus scanner that got a 5 star rating, and it doesn't detect anything. I just feel like my computer should have handled a fairly simple job like this without getting so tired! Any advice would be very welcomed and thank you to everyone for the help on my last post!

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Install adblock plus.

Your external HDD is USB3? Or USB 2.

How much RAM do you have?

I doubt you have a virus, but there is a "weak link" in your system that needs to be addressed.

soundsystem00

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2016
4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

the external was usb 2.0

ive had safari act like this before when I was online shopping for about 5 hours and looking through a lot of google images and other websites.

ABP installed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.