Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cactus jumper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2014
Attempting to do a clean install of High Sierra 10.13.6 on a mid 2011 Mac Mini (currently running Mavericks 10.9.5) using a pen drive with High Sierra installer on it.

When starting up the Mini (pen drive inserted) whilst holding down the Option key I get taken to my log in page not the startup manager page. Once logged in I can see the High Sierra installer on my desktop. Further attempts with the pen drive in a different USB port give same result.

I have tried the pen drive in another Mac Mini (late 2012 also running Mavericks 10.9.5) and the startup manager page appears first time so the pen drive is ok and it must be an issue with the mid 2011 Mini.

I have run Disc Utilities and verified/repaired permissions and disc: results in attached screen shots.

The 2011 Mini appears to be working fine: no lag, lock ups, crashes, no app issues etc. The Option key on the linked wireless keyboard is working.

Any advice/suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• Disc.jpg
    Disc.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Permissions.jpg
    Permissions.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 42

cactus jumper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2014
As above, wireless keyboard seems fine (model A1314): same keyboard as paired with the other Mini that works fine with pen drive.

cactus jumper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2014
I have also paired the keyboard from the 2012 Mini to the 2011 Mini and tried again. No luck.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
you may try a wired keyboard. Apple recommends that and I have anecdotal evidence that some older Intel-Macs do not allow NVRAM or SMC reset with wireless keyboards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.