Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xtrips

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
Hello,

I have a perfectly working El Capitan installer on flash drive. I know it works because I installed from it on a MAC mini yesterday.
I wanted to use it on my PC running Windows 10, a Sony Vaio, in order to install MAC on a an external HDD.
But no luck, the flash drive just won't boot. My Vaio just ignores it.
The settings on the Vaio are good because I tried another bootable USB flashdrive (Windows 10 installer).

What can it be?
I don't know much about MAC. Maybe the file system used on the OSX installer flash drive?
I prepared it using Yosemite and Diskmaker X.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Besides the file system, the El Capitan installer is probably a GPT partitioned drive and your Vaio can probably only boot off of an MBR partitioned drive.
Why not use the Mini to create the external drive?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello,

I have a perfectly working El Capitan installer on flash drive. I know it works because I installed from it on a MAC mini yesterday.
I wanted to use it on my PC running Windows 10, a Sony Vaio, in order to install MAC on a an external HDD.
It's not possible to just install OS X on any random PC. Some specific configurations can work as a "hackintosh" but you can't use the standard OS X installer that way.

xtrips

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
Besides the file system, the El Capitan installer is probably a GPT partitioned drive and your Vaio can probably only boot off of an MBR partitioned drive.
Why not use the Mini to create the external drive?

That certainly makes sense.
So if I completely install a fresh version on an external HDD from a MAC, do you think my Vaio will be able to boot from it?
Or will I find myself in the same situation because of the filesystem format?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
So if I completely install a fresh version on an external HDD from a MAC, do you think my Vaio will be able to boot from it?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
I thought you were trying to install OS X onto an external drive to use with a Mac.
Why would you want your PC to be able to boot OS X at all?
If it's for making the Vaio into a hackintosh (something I've been toying with also) then you're looking at some very different procedures and some additional software programs.
You should probably look at a forum dedicated to hackintosh.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada

No you need at a minimum the Fakesmc.kext and a boot loader installed on the key to trick your PC/installer both of them into thinking it is a Mac you are installing on. Google your machine name/model number plus hackintosh to see if anyone has made a guide for it. Otherwise you have many hours of fun ahead trying to cobble together your own solution.

xtrips

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
I was clueless but now I am starting to understand a thing or 2 thanks to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.