Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Brand new G4 power book. Trying to DL Windows media player for Mac from MS website. All I get is a 7 meg document that the trial version of Excel tries to open. This is all too much like XP. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

BB99

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Bingo! I'm surprised that the file was compressed as none of the Windows dls are. But then...

Thanks for the quick reply.

BB99

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Most Apple applications distributed over the web now come as zip (rarer), or dmg (disk image -- more common). Both are natively supported. Microsoft is one of the laggers in still distributing things with the old compression formats. So you shouldn't see it too much, although it's good to have Stuffit around. I think MS recently released something...maybe the latest MSN Messenger, and actually used a disk image, so perhaps things are changing. :)

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
bigboy99 said:
Brand new G4 power book. Trying to DL Windows media player for Mac from MS website. All I get is a 7 meg document that the trial version of Excel tries to open. This is all too much like XP. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

BB99

After one minute of use you will find that WMP for Mac is the single biggest POS that MS has ever shipped. Do yourself a favor and check out http://www.flip4mac.com.

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Favor done, but what dumb **s exec thought up the idea that the trial version should only play one half of the WMV file until I purchased? Since it's only a player the usual time limit would be more user friendly.

BB99

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.