Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
Hi all,

Here is my problem, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running the latest server app, and have my files shared via SMB only (mac only network).
I would like this to show up in Finder so that i can share my iTunes and Photos libraries. Unfortunately the only thing that shows up is the AFP shares for Time machine...

Any ideas?

seismick

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2013
I called Apple Enterprise Support over this very issue. Unfortunately, this is the default behavior whenever time machine is enabled, since it only runs over AFP. I'm guessing that the your server's computer name and local network name are the same (e.g. seismick-server and seismic-server.local). I have found that if they differ (e.g. seismick server and seismic-server.local) that you'll see two entries in the Finder sidebar rather than one, and that the latter will list all of your SMB shares by default. If, rather than making such a name change, you instead set your SMB shares to mount at login or use CMD-K to mount them as needed, you'll get bizarre behavior from the Finder sidebar, with dismounting of your SMB shares whenever you navigate to the server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.