Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sanddoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Helo
Well here I go again. maybe someone can point me in the right direction
I have decided to cut the cord for internet service, well basically.. I can use my Iphone and the 11gb my provider allows me each month
plus I am at two other locations that have WIFI..
But what I am doing is looking at connecting my TV antenna to my router.
of course the cable is coaxial and my NVG589 does not have a TV antenna port.
so is there a solution?
I do know that make an adapter. coaxial to ethernet.. would this work, then send the signal to
the Roku streaming device
Best
Davenet

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Helo
Well here I go again. maybe someone can point me in the right direction
I have decided to cut the cord for internet service, well basically.. I can use my Iphone and the 11gb my provider allows me each month
plus I am at two other locations that have WIFI..
But what I am doing is looking at connecting my TV antenna to my router.
of course the cable is coaxial and my NVG589 does not have a TV antenna port.
so is there a solution?
I do know that make an adapter. coaxial to ethernet.. would this work, then send the signal to
the Roku streaming device
Best
Davenet
You'd need a tuner- you can't just send TV signals over your local network. Something like the HDHomeRun might work for you: https://www.silicondust.com

Sanddoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Hello
And thanks for your imput.
It usually ends up, that asking a question gets my mind woking.
So let me explain what I have come up with.
It is true you need a tuner to watch OTA TV. (did you know there is a new ATSC 3.0) being rolled out?
one bad aspect is that they can track what you are watching.
Back to the subject. all info we receive come via radio wave, just in different wave lengths.
in the early days we put up and Antenna connected a cable and ran it into the TV which had the tuner.
TV are still made that way, but now we have monitors, which do not have a built in tuner.
I. recently switched to Verizon Wireless, and that signal was sent to my laptop but also to the
Roku streaming device, which then was connected to the TV and to the tuner.
That is all I am doing, but using the TV coaxial cable to the router via ethernet. (I hope)
then broadcast via WIFI to the rest of the house. This means any other tv's will only need a
"device" to receive and watch OTA.
The fact that I have not found a router with a TV antenna port means I need to make the connection
another way, and that is to use a coaxial to ethernet connector. It might not work via the ethernet
as I understand that the ethernet has a small voltage, I'm not sure.. but there is also usb a connection
So now does this sound plausible?
like I said in my original post. I am giving up internet per sa. I'll use my Iphone as a hotspot
and I can buy more DATA for very cheap.. Phone and 10GB data for $20 a month.. would not be bad
compared to what Verizon, Spectrum are asking. $$$.. OK I'm cheap..

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The fact that I have not found a router with a TV antenna port means I need to make the connection
another way, and that is to use a coaxial to ethernet connector. It might not work via the ethernet
as I understand that the ethernet has a small voltage, I'm not sure.. but there is also usb a connection
So now does this sound plausible?
As I mentioned in my first reply, there is nothing that just sends a raw TV signal from an antenna into a network. You have to have a tuner device like I suggested.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I'm confused by your post. I think you may be confusing internet TV with OTA TV. Internet TV is sent over the internet through your ISP and over Wi-Fi/ethernet via your router. Sounds like Verizon and the NVG589 router in your case. OTA TV is sent through the air by your local network broadcasters (not Verizon).

in the early days we put up and Antenna connected a cable and ran it into the TV which had the tuner.
OTA and TVs still work like this today. If you're trying to get OTA signals from your local broadcasters (not Verizon), then you need a digital antenna. Either one for each TV, or a bigger one to use for the whole house/existing coax cables. Or to be really fancy, an HDHomeRun like chrfr mentioned. (That converts OTA broadcast signals to be used over your network.)

I recently switched to Verizon Wireless, and that signal was sent to my laptop but also to the
Roku streaming device, which then was connected to the TV and to the tuner.
That is all I am doing, but using the TV coaxial cable to the router via ethernet. (I hope)
then broadcast via WIFI to the rest of the house. This means any other tv's will only need a
"device" to receive and watch OTA.
This sounds like Internet TV. If you're trying to get Internet TV on your other TVs, then you'll either need Smart TVs to connect to Wi-Fi/ethernet or get streaming devices for each TV...like a Roku, Fire Stick, or Apple TV.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.