Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I've been a member of these forums for nearly 13 years now. I'd say that I more enjoy the more technical posts and theory-crafting discussions as well as helping users with problems than I do the shopping advice topics and the "OMG, I can't wait for my current model's immediate successor that I will upgrade from the moment it comes out" discussion topics. I don't hate it here, but I'm starting to think that there are probably other forums more suited to the kinds of things I enjoy discussing. Incidentally - and I know that this is a site followed predominately by the Apple faithful - I'm getting somewhat sick and tired of much of the Apple Apologist rhetoric from people who haven't used anything not made by Apple in the last ten years, let alone the last 20 years. I'm sure that I'll get that on any other Apple-centric forum out there. But it's just...irritating after a while, especially as Apple's quality control starts to wane (which, as someone who does like Apple's products otherwise, is already depressing enough to deal with WITHOUT having people fervently denying it).

So, for those of you that frequent other Apple or tech forums, where do you like to lurk when you're not here?

I've frequented the Apple Support forums and I do find that DOES scratch the "helping others out" itch fairly well. I am also a member of the JAMF Nation forums, which, while scratching the Mac IT itch, feels like a place more geared toward IT issues that folks are having. As an IT professional with JAMF certifications, this place will scratch SOME of the IT itch, but I feel less inclined to start up conversations and posts that are not relevant to a problem either myself or someone else is having at work. I feel like I'm wasting their time.

I'd also be perfectly open to a place that isn't necessarily Apple-focused. I have Macs, iPads, and iPhones (and iPod touches!), but I also have PCs, and Android devices. It might be nice to partake in discussions where the majority of folks aren't necessarily aligned with the technology of another vendor.

Where else do you talk tech online? (Be it Apple and/or otherwise.)

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I browse 9to5Mac and Appleinsider a few times a week but I certainly can't recommend them as places where many interesting discussions take place. Too little traffic and/or participation. While Reddit has its faults one can find some useful information. I have yet to find an Android focussed equivalent of MacRumors.

• Love
Reactions: Yebubbleman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.