Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnohh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2018
Here is the situation. I call a guy, he is indoors, call quality is fine. Then he steps outdoors on a windy day and when he speaks I hear the wind in addition to his voice, call is still fine. But then when I speak he can't hear me because my voice is breaking up. So then I yell at him "put your phone on mute!!", at which time he mutes his own microphone, and at that point he can hear me just fine again. So for some reason the presence of background wind noise on his microphone is preventing my voice from getting cleanly to his speaker. I am hoping someone can tell me how to fix this, or even what is this problem called. He has an iphone 6 and mine is a 7. Thanks.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
There’s a big difference in older iPhones call quality. The new iPhones can focus on your voice and silence out the other noises. I noticed this when my gf had an older iPhone and when I got her the 8 plus, quality improved.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Here is the situation. I call a guy, he is indoors, call quality is fine. Then he steps outdoors on a windy day and when he speaks I hear the wind in addition to his voice, call is still fine. But then when I speak he can't hear me because my voice is breaking up. So then I yell at him "put your phone on mute!!", at which time he mutes his own microphone, and at that point he can hear me just fine again. So for some reason the presence of background wind noise on his microphone is preventing my voice from getting cleanly to his speaker. I am hoping someone can tell me how to fix this, or even what is this problem called. He has an iphone 6 and mine is a 7. Thanks.
They may want to check the "Phone Noise cancellation" setting. The default setting is on, but perhaps they turned it off at some point. In iOS 13, it's in Settings-Accessibility-Audio/Visual.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.