Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Hey, ya'll.

I, like many others I'm sure, are very intrigued with Google's new Pixel Fold. The price has me waiting for better deals, but it's been a while since I've owned a Google device. I had a Pixel 3 a few years back, and every time I see those photos pop up in my stream, I am always like, "damn that pixel shot great pics."

I also had a Nexus 4 and 5 in the way way back, but my option of Google has soured over the years. I have been with Apple since the iPhone 6, expect for the 6 months with the Pixel 3, and I really like the idea of the Google Fold - truly a hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.

BUT. I am researching Google's customer service, and it is not pretty. There are a lot of nightmare stories out there. I have my own with a Nest doorbell that Google would not replace after the plastic started pealing off the front of the device. Anyway, what are your takes on this? Apple has always done right by me, but the lure of the folding phones has me seriously tempted to switch sides. Any other experiences with Google's customer service here?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I think the only time I dealt with Google customer service is when I had resubscribe to Youtube Red when mistakenly my card on file wasn’t updated.

During this period, Youtube Red increased in price… but I was grandfathered into a certain price and I contacted Google to retain my original price. And they did it without any problems.

But in regards to your title… I’ve had two occasions where I had to contact Samsung customer service regarding issues with my devices (Fold 2 and Galaxy Watch). And both instances, it was successfully handled.

Reactions: rillrill

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
There is a lot to consider when comparing customer service.

First Apple has physical locations you can go to and get repairs and or help. Google you have to send everything in with the exception of ifixit locations. I personally don't want third parties repairing my device. Apple can have good or bad service at Apple stores and can be very busy so the experience can vary widely but at least you have a physical location.

Customer service representative on the phone with Google is not generally as good as Apple. Just giving you my honest opinion.

However not as good doesn't mean it sucks either.

I have had decent interactions with Google but in terms of hardware issues I have just had them replace my devices rather than try to repair them. I pay for the extra warranty service for accidental damage or theft and I think they give better service when you do.

I think the key is if you have any problems in the first two weeks just return it and get another new device. Once you get a good device they are generally trouble free.

In my experience Samsung has better customer service BUT with a Pixel if you are having only software issues you can actually wipe and flash the phone just like with Apple when you restore your phone using a Mac. You can't do this with Samsung.

I have had some problems with hardware but after the return period Google sent me a refurbished, like new device several years ago and after that I had no problem. My current Pixel has been great. I did wait a couple months after release. Sometimes that can be a good idea if there are any initial manufacturing issues the second batch of devices gets fixed before they are sent out.

In terms of the upcoming folding Pixel I am pretty sure Google is doing everything they can to make sure these are good devices since it is a new market for them and very expensive. I think they want them to be good so reviews are good and they can sell well.

If you are generally an Apple user and curious about Android I think Pixel is the best alternative but I think Samsung has really improved over the years and their hardware is generally better. In the case of the Pixel fold it is anyone's guess if Google will commit but I think it is the best overall design in a foldable I have seen yet.

I think you should go for it. Just be mindful to really test out the hardware and make sure everything is good before the return period is up. If it is good then you most likely won't have to contact customer service and will have the best software experience on Android IMHO.

Reactions: rillrill

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
New York
There is a lot to consider when comparing customer service.

First Apple has physical locations you can go to and get repairs and or help. Google you have to send everything in with the exception of ifixit locations. I personally don't want third parties repairing my device. Apple can have good or bad service at Apple stores and can be very busy so the experience can vary widely but at least you have a physical location.

Customer service representative on the phone with Google is not generally as good as Apple. Just giving you my honest opinion.

However not as good doesn't mean it sucks either.

I have had decent interactions with Google but in terms of hardware issues I have just had them replace my devices rather than try to repair them. I pay for the extra warranty service for accidental damage or theft and I think they give better service when you do.

I think the key is if you have any problems in the first two weeks just return it and get another new device. Once you get a good device they are generally trouble free.

In my experience Samsung has better customer service BUT with a Pixel if you are having only software issues you can actually wipe and flash the phone just like with Apple when you restore your phone using a Mac. You can't do this with Samsung.

I have had some problems with hardware but after the return period Google sent me a refurbished, like new device several years ago and after that I had no problem. My current Pixel has been great. I did wait a couple months after release. Sometimes that can be a good idea if there are any initial manufacturing issues the second batch of devices gets fixed before they are sent out.

In terms of the upcoming folding Pixel I am pretty sure Google is doing everything they can to make sure these are good devices since it is a new market for them and very expensive. I think they want them to be good so reviews are good and they can sell well.

If you are generally an Apple user and curious about Android I think Pixel is the best alternative but I think Samsung has really improved over the years and their hardware is generally better. In the case of the Pixel fold it is anyone's guess if Google will commit but I think it is the best overall design in a foldable I have seen yet.

I think you should go for it. Just be mindful to really test out the hardware and make sure everything is good before the return period is up. If it is good then you most likely won't have to contact customer service and will have the best software experience on Android IMHO.
Yeah. Returning the device if it’s at all faulty is good advice for sure. It’s interesting, as I’ve never had to consider that with Apple. I know getting a folding phone will have a higher rate of failure, compared to a bar phone. And I would absolutely get insurance for it. I never get Apple care, but for this I would.

I should also say that I’m close to NYC, so a trip to the Google store is possible, just inconvenient.

Reactions: Technerd108

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I’ve mostly dealt with Samsungs customer service on the Android side and it has been just terrible, they are slow and just blame third party vendors that they outsourced things to without trying to fix anything. I don’t seem to be alone there since many other from my region are saying the same, good products but horrible customer service.

Apple works much better and never had a delay in fixing things.

Mrwhosetheboss did a “secret shopper” thing for customer service between Samsung and Apple and his experience mirrors mine really.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
New York
I watched that one too. Honestly, if these phones weren’t so expensive, I’d deal with it. But at $1800+, no way.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I watched that one too. Honestly, if these phones weren’t so expensive, I’d deal with it. But at $1800+, no way.

I am contemplating chancing it to get the Fold 5 and just hoping I don’t have to deal with them. But there was a guy on a local tech forum that had his Fold 4 screen break and fixing it under warranty took 5 weeks, and then it broke again within a day so he had to start the process over. So I am a bit on the fence about it, if it takes 5 weeks to fix I’d have to buy a new phone if it breaks since I don’t want to be without a phone for that long.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Apple’s customer service is far from perfect but at least in the US it affords far more access and a generally better overall user experience. If you have AppleCare+, that access and experience usually gets even better. Having the access to their Express Device Replacement option for iPhones, Apple Watches, iPads and AirPods is a game changer, IMO.

My wife dropped her Apple Watch and shattered the glass. A couple of clicks in the Apple Support app and we’d paid the $69 replacement fee and had a new replacement on route overnight shipping. We did this on a Sunday and her Watch arrived on Monday. You then use the original packaging to ship back the broken device on their dime. We’ve used Express Replacment a handful of times over the years and it’s invaluable—no time wasted heading to an Apple Store, which in itself is a better service option than any of the competition.

Even if this level of service wasn’t available I’d still probably rely mostly on Apple gear but their customer service makes looking elsewhere very difficult.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.