Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hsdev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2024
Hey y'all! I'm having issues with macOS Sonoma.
I have network accounts for a shared device and use the Name and Password method to log in. In previous versions (Ventura and below), switching users from a current locked account would prompt the Name and Password entry form.

In Sonoma however, this is different. When there are no accounts logged in, the Name and Password appears. When an account is logged in, then locked, it would show the currently in-use account's profile. When I opt to switch accounts there is no "Other" option, neither does the Name and Password fields show. It is only a list of locally created accounts with their respective icons.

This obviously does not follow the preference rule of "Name and Password" only as it shows a list of users when one is already logged in.
This poses a great issue with shared devices that have MacOS Sonoma, because someone could forget to log out and pass the device over and the next user would have to restart in order to login.

Below is the current configuration with loginwindow.plist - Provides the same behavior.

If I hide all the users (none will show a list when trying to switch users), it would go to a sleep state, black screen, rather than a list or name prompt.
1714356621523.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.