Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
Hey guys, is anyone seeing the "other" category on their iPhone way too high? Its under settings > general > iPhone storage and its at the bottom..What can I do to lessen this amount? All I did was set up phone as new and its currently "downloading" my iMessages from iCloud.

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
Give it 24 to 48 hrs. Should settle after that.
My messages simply won’t download. It’s insane. It was never like this on iOS 12 and I’m very savvy so I know I’m not doing anything wrong or different than what I did in the past

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
an update: had the phone on the charger all day during the day and last night and the phone is telling me that its out of space...whats using the space? 60GB of "other"...again all I did was set up as NEW, turn on iMessages in iCloud and plug the phone in...I'm stuck and I dont know what to do to get my messages with photos and videos within them back...

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
All of my “other” disappeared after doing a manual iCloud backup. Not sure if maybe iOS does local filesystem snapshots like macOS does with Time Machine (wherein the snapshot is removed to free up space after backup is run), but that could be a possible explanation.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Are you using Share iPhone Analytics or Enhanced Beta Feedback?

I currently have these on so I never really question the "Other" storage. Mines is close to 30GB as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.