Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smith17.jeff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2020
Hi, I'm running into storage issues on my iPhone X, 64 GB. It keeps telling me that my storage is full, then I'll clear out 2 GB of space and the "Other" section keeps eating up more and more space. Unclear exactly why that's happening and what makes up the "Other" section of storage. Currently it's taking up around 40 GB of storage on my phone and causing performance issues as my storage is full. I tried a few YouTube tricks, like deleting and reinstalling Podcast app, clearing your Safari history and website data, but that helped temporarily for like 2 days.

Would love some other tips/tricks or feedback! Otherwise I will back my phone up on iTunes and do a factory reset, but want to try everything else first.

poutylips

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, I'm running into storage issues on my iPhone X, 64 GB. It keeps telling me that my storage is full, then I'll clear out 2 GB of space and the "Other" section keeps eating up more and more space. Unclear exactly why that's happening and what makes up the "Other" section of storage. Currently it's taking up around 40 GB of storage on my phone and causing performance issues as my storage is full. I tried a few YouTube tricks, like deleting and reinstalling Podcast app, clearing your Safari history and website data, but that helped temporarily for like 2 days.

Would love some other tips/tricks or feedback! Otherwise I will back my phone up on iTunes and do a factory reset, but want to try everything else first.

Trying the hard reboot method by pressing the volume up button and release it and then press the volume down button and release it and lastly press the power button and hold it till you see the Apple logo.

Go to the App Store and search for Duckling Cleaner and perform the cleaning process a couple of times to clear the cache.

Reactions: phoenix_jet

rowi1de

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2016
Had to wipe my phone because of a repair (no gravis, you won’t get my passcode). Used Settings -> wipe Settings & Content.
Restored the backup via Mac from the same morning: 10 GB freed up (64 GB phone)

imnotlisa

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2020
Yes, the best known method to workaround the "memory leak" and/or "fragmentation" which causes OTHER STORAGE to BLOAT FOREVER is to backup the device onto a mac computer. Then factory-reset the device. Then restore the backed-up copy from mac computer to device. Do this with mac computer not iCloud, if at all possible. It's fairly quick!

Reactions: jbachandouris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.