Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TripleYoThreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Hi hope all are well!

This has been asked all over and, at different times over the past years, there have been very different truths.

As of September 2021, after the conclusion of the Epic Games v. Apple lawsuit, "The ruling says that Apple cannot bar developers from providing buttons or links in their apps that direct customers to other ways to pay outside of Apple’s own in-app purchase system, which charges developers commissions of up to 30 percent."

Reference 2: "Last week, in the Epic vs. Apple case, US District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers decided that Apple can no longer ban developers from using “buttons, external links, or other calls to action that direct customers to purchasing methods,"

HOWEVER, it is unclear to me if this is simply the ruling, and if Apple has actually followed suit or not.

As of March 2022,
Apple has also specifically allowed reader apps to allow external links - with a NASTY popup, ("Modal Sheet" on that link) that no one would proceed from - Apple has made it extra ugly on purpose. This is also clearly proven.

So - is that Apple's implementation of the court ruling? Or can we actually use "buttons, external links, and other calls to actions that direct customers to other purchasing methods?" (as per the court ruling)​

It is proven and confirmed that "At the same time, the court ordered Apple to allow developers to communicate to app users about the external payment options outside the app." So we can email them about other payment methods, that much is confirmed. But the above still isn't clear. This article talks about how Netflix will allow a sign up button in app - but I just checked and I don't see it.
Can anyone chime in with some more concrete pieces? Maybe someone who tried it?

Thanks all for reading and hoping to start some good solid discussion around this!

Trip

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.