Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
It took them only HOW LONG to release it? I was surprised that it took them so long, and...

It's basically a shrunken version of their iPad Pro case, with all the good, and bad of that case.

The one issue that I didn't like with the IPP Defender case is the flappy rubber skin that is supposed to hold the Pencil when charging. It's flimsy and totally unable to restrain the Pencil from flying if it's bumped/dropped/jostled. On the IPP case, it's so flimsy. I was surprised they didn't do something more durable, and now on the Mini case, it's even more of a mess.

I got a cheap case on Amazon that works head and shoulders better than this 'new' case. I mean, it's just the IPP case shrunk down. And it took them MONTHS to come up with that 'amazing design'? I'll keep my cheap Amazon case, thank you. It has issues, but it very securely restrains the Pencil.

I expected more from both their cases, and was surprised at their IPP case's cheesiness...

Reactions: max2

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
Yeah, I bought an Ottterbox case a while back for my iPad Pro and I simply wasn’t impressed. I promptly returned it.

Reactions: max2

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
I bought my 2018 iPad Pro as soon as it was available. The otter box case for the 12.9 was exclusive to Apple for the longest time. I think it was the symmetry Case. It had a flap to secure the pencil when closed and the flap only lasted a year. Really shoddy materials for such an expensive case And also it was tempting to carry the iPad around without fastening the flap Which reduced the drop protection. They lost me as a customer.

I bought the Zugu case for my iPad mini and the Thoughtfulness about the details of the design is striking compared to the otter box.

Reactions: lungbutter and max2

lungbutter

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2014
Zulu cases are nicely made. Small company and they can use the business! I have a Black case and love it. Currently using a Zagg Pro Keys for the Air 4/ Trying to figure out what my workflows will be with the tablet.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I am a first-time OtterBox owner with my iPhone 13 Pro Max. I got the blue and black Symmetry+ MagSafe compatible case and I think it is just the perfect combination of slim, form fitting, and protective. Could be my favorite iPhone case of all time.

I would love to see OtterBox come out with an iPad case that's like the Symmetry line but combines it with the screen cover portion like an Apple folio as well as a Pencil friendly storage/charge area. I know, easy for me to say. It would have to make a lot of concessions that an iPhone case doesn't have to make. But I hope they try, because what they have available right now is not something I will ever spend money on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.