Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rezaadrianh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2022
Hi, does anyone have experience using this otterbox symmetry+ case with magsafe?

I mean how the case perform against drop? Is it realy protect the iPhone? Or is there some weakness?

Is it still 2 layer in one piece design or otterbox change the design as 1 layer only?

Thank you in advance. šŸ™šŸ»šŸ™šŸ»

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I have one these cases, it was one of the first cases I got from my phone. Iā€™ve never dropped my phone but the walls of the rubber around the sides are thick, and I would imagine that would be very protective in a drop. Itā€™s still a two layer design except the back is polycarbonate and the sides are all rubber so itā€™s not like the older models where the polycarbonate creeped up on the sides.

rezaadrianh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2022
I have one these cases, it was one of the first cases I got from my phone. Iā€™ve never dropped my phone but the walls of the rubber around the sides are thick, and I would imagine that would be very protective in a drop. Itā€™s still a two layer design except the back is polycarbonate and the sides are all rubber so itā€™s not like the older models where the polycarbonate creeped up on the side
Hi, thank you for the reply.
Have you still use symmetry series till today?
I used one for my iphone 6, it matches with you description. But right now i use 12 pro max and it seems otterbox change the design from 2 pieces to 1 piece.
Thats why i asked in this forum, im afraid if the newest design (im assuming itā€™s 1 piece) is not very durable against drop.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Hi, thank you for the reply.
Have you still use symmetry series till today?
I used one for my iphone 6, it matches with you description. But right now i use 12 pro max and it seems otterbox change the design from 2 pieces to 1 piece.
Thats why i asked in this forum, im afraid if the newest design (im assuming itā€™s 1 piece) is not very durable against drop.
I use it when I know Iā€™m going to need extra protection, say Iā€™m doing something athletic or using it in the gym.

Itā€™s a one piece design, but different materials. Iā€™m a little confused what you mean by two pieces. They have two different types of materials connected to each other but itā€™s not two pieces that come apart, no.

It is definitely durable against drops, if youā€™re really curious I would go on YouTube and search up technicallytee cause Iā€™m pretty sure he did a review on the case.

_steel

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2018
I have the newest Generation Symmetry+ for my 14PM. Accidentally dropped the phone from the bathroom counter onto the ceramic tiles. No problem whatsoever.

I actually prefer the newest iteration of the Symmetry - I thought the previous deep seam (between the plastic and rubber on the sides) was both unsightly and, at times, uncomfortable.

Keep in mind, the rubber portion of the new Symmetry discolour and stain TERRIBLY if you purchase a lighter colourā€¦in as little as a week šŸ˜”

rezaadrianh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2022
I use it when I know Iā€™m going to need extra protection, say Iā€™m doing something athletic or using it in the gym.

Itā€™s a one piece design, but different materials. Iā€™m a little confused what you mean by two pieces. They have two different types of materials connected to each other but itā€™s not two pieces that come apart, no.

It is definitely durable against drops, if youā€™re really curious I would go on YouTube and search up technicallytee cause Iā€™m pretty sure he did a review on the case.
What case do you use other than that activities?

I mean its not 2 pieces like otterbox commuter, but it said (a the first release of symmetry for iphone 6) its a 2 in 1 piece (rubber inside and TPU outside).

I saw the review, its good but lack of drop test. I already bought the case and compare it with my old symmetry, the new one feels like the inside part of the case is not rubber, it feels hard like all is TPU. Its an expensive case though but thats why im not using it because im very clumsy and afraid if i dropped it itā€™ll damage my back glass.

I tried to ask to otterbox cust service but he cant answer. Lol.

rezaadrianh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2022
I have the newest Generation Symmetry+ for my 14PM. Accidentally dropped the phone from the bathroom counter onto the ceramic tiles. No problem whatsoever.

I actually prefer the newest iteration of the Symmetry - I thought the previous deep seam (between the plastic and rubber on the sides) was both unsightly and, at times, uncomfortable.

Keep in mind, the rubber portion of the new Symmetry discolour and stain TERRIBLY if you purchase a lighter colourā€¦in as little as a week šŸ˜”
Thank you for your shared experience my friend.

Which symmetry did you buy? Is it the clear one?

Thats a relief for me hearing the case is protecting enough. Iā€™ll use it for now on. But how do you handle with the extra wide feel with the case? I mean, i found it hard for me to use it with one hand (typing). Maybe you have tips or maybe you experience it too (which is I consider its a common and normal problem with this case)?

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
What case do you use other than that activities?

I mean its not 2 pieces like otterbox commuter, but it said (a the first release of symmetry for iphone 6) its a 2 in 1 piece (rubber inside and TPU outside).

I saw the review, its good but lack of drop test. I already bought the case and compare it with my old symmetry, the new one feels like the inside part of the case is not rubber, it feels hard like all is TPU. Its an expensive case though but thats why im not using it because im very clumsy and afraid if i dropped it itā€™ll damage my back glass.

I tried to ask to otterbox cust service but he cant answer. Lol.
I rotate between the symmetry and an Apple leather case.

Iā€™ll be honest with you I know the fact that the inside of the case doesnā€™t have any rubber to protect the back glass is a little concerning, but I think the back glass will be perfectly fine in drop situations. My big concern would be the sides of the phone, and thereā€™s more than enough rubber to protect the sides of the phone on the Symmetry. I think it will protect your phone just fine but thatā€™s just my subjective opinion.

_steel

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2018
Thank you for your shared experience my friend.

Which symmetry did you buy? Is it the clear one?

Thats a relief for me hearing the case is protecting enough. Iā€™ll use it for now on. But how do you handle with the extra wide feel with the case? I mean, i found it hard for me to use it with one hand (typing). Maybe you have tips or maybe you experience it too (which is I consider its a common and normal problem with this case)?
No tips for you - Iā€™ve just gotten used to the form factor.

I have the Lime Green one

Eksoccer99

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2018
I normally get the otterbox symmetry cases per all my iPhones. Probably, will get one soon for my 14PM. Now that the clear has MagSafe. I know later it will probably turn yellow, but my previous ones took 1-2yrs to show discolor. Currently, running apples silicon, midnight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.