Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
So I downloaded the demo of Halo to test out on my new MB, 160 gb hard drive, 2 gb ram, and I was a bit surprised to see it suck so badly.

Even on the lowest settings it was very choppy. Nothing else was running, either. Is this a demo-specific or OS X specific problem?

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
So I downloaded the demo of Halo to test out on my new MB, 160 gb hard drive, 2 gb ram, and I was a bit surprised to see it suck so badly.

Even on the lowest settings it was very choppy. Nothing else was running, either. Is this a demo-specific or OS X specific problem?

Really? I run the full version on my Mini(see signiture for specs (same graphics card)) but with only 512 MB RAM, often acompined by iTunes. And it runs great.

Sounds like a bad installation, or theremight be something up with you MacBook.

...I'm going to wait for more experianced people to suggest a fix, because if I do, I know I'll screw it up :eek:

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I have every single setting on Full on my loaded imac and it runs great. Well, all settings except lens flare on High instead of Extreme. I do get all the fancy 9x AA though :) Perhaps you arent using the UB verison.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
I do not know if there is a UB demo of Halo.

Nope. The full version has a UB but you have to pay $5 for it. It was just updated last week, too, so it works better. The UB was pretty slow on PPC compared to the PPC-only version, but the new patch probably brings the UB PPC performance back up to normal levels. And the lens flare slow-down is apparently fixed...again.

--Eric

Rollershapple

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Your cassie from M-F right? Im rollershoer4mac! I made your sig banner thingy. Anyways, yes it runs decent on my ibook, with all settings low and running it in a window. Its a little laggy at times but thats my internet connections fault ;) Im running 10.3.9 though if it makes a difference.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Your cassie from M-F right? Im rollershoer4mac! I made your sig banner thingy. Anyways, yes it runs decent on my ibook, with all settings low and running it in a window. Its a little laggy at times but thats my internet connections fault ;) Im running 10.3.9 though if it makes a difference.

Why, yes, I am Cassifire on M-F. Sorry I didn't recignize you there, I just browse MR more then MF so I know the members here better.:):eek: Thanks for the banner!

That's nice to know that it can run, but I'm running 10.4.8, so It'll probably be even slower.:) Oh well, I'll try it anyway.:apple:

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
How did you do this? I tried running Halo on my G4 mini and it was such a horrible experience!

Your definition of playable differs from these people.

Running Halo on an iMac G4 with everything turned down was a slideshow averaging about 10-15 FPS. Running the original non-UB version on my iMac Core Duo was still a slideshow but at least looked better. A Mac Mini or iBook G3 is not going to get 30 FPS. Even a MacBook running the retail UB version might be iffy. And there's no way the demo can run at 30 FPS if my iMac Core Duo couldn't handle it.

I don't find Halo "playable" unless you are getting a steady 30 FPS at the beginning of Silent Cartographer. My MacBook Pro can only keep the frames a steady 30 FPS at 1024 x 768 with everything else turned up. The game is beautiful at higher resolutions, but it's too choppy to be enjoyable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.