Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamhale_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2023
Hello - first post here 👋

I have a 2017 Intel MCP and for the second time my keyboard has messed up, with multiple keys being stuck down. They still function, just don't travel. I had the top case replaced free of charge under the service programme last year but Apple Support tell me that I'm no longer eligible for it again due to the expiration of the programme 4 years after retail sale (Bought 5 years ago).

Just wondering if anyone has an approximate current UK cost for a butterfly keyboard replacement with Apple so I can review my options before making a journey to store or if anyone has any suggestions?

I am reluctant to just change my Mac because I use a dual external monitor setup for home working (and needing the ability to move around) and my understanding is that for an equivalent setup, without docks/software workarounds, I need to spend almost double what I originally paid on an M2 Pro model - which isn't justifiable when everything else works perfectly for me right now.

Last edited:

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
So within 1 year of the keyboard replacement the keyboard has failed again and you want to replace it again? The keyboard is going to fail again you know that right? How many times are you going to allow the keyboard to fail before you decide to get a new machine? Do not waste your money on getting a replacement keyboard (your machine means a complete top case replacement), put the money towards a new machine.

Reactions: hg.wells

wordsworth

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
UK
Would a separate Bluetooth keyboard work on those occasions when you're away from the desk? Yes, it's something extra to carry, but far cheaper than repairing the laptop's keyboard and you can maybe repurpose the Bluetooth keyboard with any future purchase (Mac Mini, for example, if you went for an affordable desktop option later).

Reactions: kitKAC

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Just wondering if anyone has an approximate current UK cost for a butterfly keyboard replacement with Apple so I can review my options before making a journey to store or if anyone has any suggestions?"

It's going to cost you the equivalent of $750-800 US for the repair.

I would urge you NOT TO undertake a repair of that cost on a 6-year-old MBP at this point.

The money would be MUCH BETTER SPENT in a replacement, either new or perhaps Apple-refubished (if they have that there).

One thing you could do might be to get an external USB keyboard, and use that instead -- but of course, it's a somewhat clumsy solution.

Again, time to start looking for something new.

I sense we're going to be seeing many more posts like yours in the days to come, as the old butterfly keyboards begin to "give up the ghost"...

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello - first post here 👋

I have a 2017 Intel MCP and for the second time my keyboard has messed up, with multiple keys being stuck down. They still function, just don't travel. I had the top case replaced free of charge under the service programme last year but Apple Support tell me that I'm no longer eligible for it again due to the expiration of the programme 4 years after retail sale (Bought 5 years ago).

Just wondering if anyone has an approximate current UK cost for a butterfly keyboard replacement with Apple so I can review my options before making a journey to store or if anyone has any suggestions?

I am reluctant to just change my Mac because I use a dual external monitor setup for home working (and needing the ability to move around) and my understanding is that for an equivalent setup, without docks/software workarounds, I need to spend almost double what I originally paid on an M2 Pro model - which isn't justifiable when everything else works perfectly for me right now.
Don’t waste your money on this repair. As you’ve seen, the replacement parts are as faulty as the original so there’s no assurance the problem won’t recur. New computers with M1 or M2 are so much better that using a DisplayLink adapter to drive a 2nd external display will still be a substantial upgrade over what you have now. You don’t need an M2 Pro model to replace your existing computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.