Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewBench

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I have an out of warranty XS which needs the battery replacing. Ordinarily I'd only use Apple, especially if the phone was still in-warranty, but with the COVID restrictions here in the UK the only options are sending Apple the phone to replace it (6-8 days apparently), or taking it to a non-Apple repair place.

There's a national chain here called iSmash which have a few sites around the country (including one near me) who seem to be trustworthy and will do the replacement in a single visit.

My main concern is that I've heard a lot of third party/independent places will use poor quality batteries and/or won't replace the water resistant seal around the edge.

How do phones like the XS hold up with third party battery repairs - will the new battery degrade a lot quicker if they use a non-Apple approved one?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I have no experience with 3rd party replacement and would be more inclined to do the replacement myself so I know it was done to my satisfaction. That being said, I'd use Apple over any 3rd party that's for sure. I keep my prior device when I upgrade so I have a backup if anything breaks or happens to my main phone.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Wouldn't be taking a XS to some dodgy 3rd party repairer, most likely get a dud battery, send it off to apple, borrow a phone off someone till you get yours back.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Are there no authorized repair centers near you? There are other options besides Apple here in the states

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I have an out of warranty XS which needs the battery replacing. Ordinarily I'd only use Apple, especially if the phone was still in-warranty, but with the COVID restrictions here in the UK the only options are sending Apple the phone to replace it (6-8 days apparently), or taking it to a non-Apple repair place.

There's a national chain here called iSmash which have a few sites around the country (including one near me) who seem to be trustworthy and will do the replacement in a single visit.

My main concern is that I've heard a lot of third party/independent places will use poor quality batteries and/or won't replace the water resistant seal around the edge.

How do phones like the XS hold up with third party battery repairs - will the new battery degrade a lot quicker if they use a non-Apple approved one?

Can you borrow a phone?

I’d personally go the Apple route.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
iPhone XS still holds value. As does an iPhone X, 11, 11 Pro, XS Max and 11 Pro Max. I personally wouldn’t use a 3rd party repair for a battery.

Also, when repairing the iPhons XS battery with a 3rd party replacement you’ll lose Battery Health and also get a battery message in settings all the time. It’s just me personally but I would use Apple or an Apple authorized dealer

5AB60F3D-C83D-4539-B601-509ED1BFA831.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.