Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mookielittle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2023
It's now 2023 and I have a keyboard issue with my 2016 MBP 15 touch bar (A1707). I got in contact with Apple via phone and had a senior advisor extend my out-of-warranty replacement for the keyboard as my allowed time frame to have it replaced had passed. So there was an exception granted. I took it to an authorized service provider in Tijuana, Baja California, MX only to get pushback even with the exception. I contacted Apple again and the senior advisor now handling my case stated they have to honor that exception and that she would email the store for the record to have it processed. What are the chances they replace my MBP altogether and ultimately upgrade me to a newer model since they no longer sell my model? Hopefully, someone can shed some light on this situation. I have yet to wait for the store to get communication from apple(if they can find the email) in order to proceed with the repair. I have since requested the senior advisor that is handling my case to have my MBP replaced as this has caused such a hassle and although it is not guaranteed, Apple does this from time to time at their discretion. I have not mentioned their internal CRU lingo.

mookielittle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2023
One thing has nothing to do with the other. Apple has plenty of parts, customer trade-ins, and refurbs to replace your computer, if it ever came to that.
Would there be a point where they no longer have parts for a device? Perhaps when they consider them vintage? Is there some way to know what they have on hand? May be a silly question but I'm curious to know.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Would there be a point where they no longer have parts for a device? Perhaps when they consider them vintage? Is there some way to know what they have on hand? May be a silly question but I'm curious to know.

After 7 years from first retail sale, it'll be obsolete. At that point, they may no longer service it. Ask the Apple Store and they'll tell you if they have parts and if they'll repair it.

mookielittle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2023
After 7 years from first retail sale, it'll be obsolete. At that point, they may no longer service it. Ask the Apple Store and they'll tell you if they have parts and if they'll repair it.
Well, I guess the rule of thumb and using some logic would be that if the MBP was accepted at the authorized service center, then they have the parts.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Good luck on the warranty extension.

You might get it. Then again, you may not.

If a free repair is declined, expect to pay about $800 for the keyboard/top case replacement.

If that sounds like too much, time to start looking for a replacement.

mookielittle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2023
@brnmilk Well.. Short answer, no. The authorized service center said there was signs of alterations such as missing screws. I bought it from a third party and I was not advised of the missing screws. My goal now is to replace those screws. Send it in for service directly or walk into an official Apple store. I hope it works.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

This is only a GUESS, but I don't think replacing some obviously missing screws may help. The service people are probably seeing -other signs- of previous "inside tampering" as well.

I could be wrong.

Reactions: Mousse

mookielittle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2023
OP:

This is only a GUESS, but I don't think replacing some obviously missing screws may help. The service people are probably seeing -other signs- of previous "inside tampering" as well.

I could be wrong.
You may be right. I want to at least try. They provided me images and a brief description after their assessment. Nothing else was mentioned or can be seen in the pictures.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
If you're hoping Apple is going to give you a free upgrade to a modern MBP just because your current computer suffers from keyboardgate then I think you're going to be disappointed. Though I applaud you having the testicular fortitude to try. Here in the UK we nearly always want the underdog to win, so go you.

mookielittle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2023
@majorfuber Thank you. Even simply replacing the keyboard would be sweet. These keys feel crisp at first but nearly flat after some use. I'll try to stay optimistic. 😅

Reactions: MajorFubar

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
OP:

I could be wrong.
Missing screws is a sign of sloppy work.😕 I can say with confidence Apple will find telltale signs of previous repairs. Whether it was done by Apple or an authorized service shop will be a major factor.

Back when I was an Apple repair tech [30 old years back], I could tell when someone unqualified opened up a PowerBook or a CRT iMac. Apple was notorious for having everything held together by easily broken tabs back then. If you didn't used the proper tools or improper techniques, you'd break a few tabs.😩 Marring on the case where someone tried to pry it open with a screwdriver/butter knife is also very noticable.

Anyway, here's hoping the tech who receives your MBP is a kind soul and turn a blind eye. I was like that. I would overlook the obvious sign if the customer was polite. "Please" and "thank you" earns a lot of goodwill from customer service folks.

Reactions: mookielittle

mookielittle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2023
@Mousse those are comforting words. Thank you. I understand this wouldn't be guaranteed. I'll try to post an update once I give it a try within a couple of weeks. Some of those screws are either expensive or hard to find. I'll have better luck buying a broken macbook.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
@brnmilk Well.. Short answer, no. The authorized service center said there was signs of alterations such as missing screws. I bought it from a third party and I was not advised of the missing screws. My goal now is to replace those screws. Send it in for service directly or walk into an official Apple store. I hope it works.

I'd expect the ASP to log the serial number with Apple as part of the general repair process.

Reactions: Queen6

brnmilk

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2017
Brisbane - Australia
Hi Guys! I did a FREE service to change my faulty keyboard here is Brisbane / Australia.
I could do it because I tried to do it in Brazil but they didnt have apple store close to my city.
So they open an exception for me.
New battery, new keyboard! YEY!

Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.