Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I'm so excited that you did these tests. The snow is gone next week and it's time to ride to work. I'm waiting for the next watch though.

Do you take your phone with you or leave it home?

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2015
That's good to know. I don't really want to take my phone with me.
The Outdoor Cycle workout on the watch is almost useless without the phone. (I tried it, and it pretty much captures nothing of value.) So, you need the phone if you do this workout. Running and walking work OK without the phone, but they get way better distance accuracy with the phone. I think that all of the other workouts (Other, Indoor Cycle, Indoor Run, Indoor Walk, Elliptical, Rower, and Stair Stepper) are perfectly fine without the phone.

For outdoor cycling, I will always carry my phone. Safety and emergency are the reason-- getting stranded because of a mechanical failure really sucks. Plus, I just got a Garmin Edge for my bike that links directly to my phone and the Internet (through my phone) for some really cool stuff.

For running, I only carry my phone for safety on long runs and for music when I am running alone. I could do music from my AW, but it is just easier with the phone. Then I use the AW's music app to control what I am listening to.

Last edited:

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
The Outdoor Cycle workout on the watch is almost useless without the phone. (I tried it, and it pretty much captures nothing of value.) So, you need the phone if you do this workout. Running and walking work OK without the phone, but they get way better distance accuracy with the phone. I think that of the other workouts (Other, Indoor Cycle, Indoor Run, Indoor Walk, Elliptical, Rower, and Stair Stepper) are perfectly fine without the phone.

For outdoor cycling, I will always carry my phone. Safety and emergency are the reason-- getting stranded because of a mechanical failure really sucks. Plus, I just got a Garmin Edge for my bike that links directly to my phone and the Internet (through my phone) for some really cool stuff.

For running, I only carry my phone for safety on long runs and for music when I am running alone. I could do music from my AW, but it is just easier with the phone. Then I use the AW's music app to control what I am listening to.

Bummer, thanks for this though it's a big help. Do you have a saddle bag or bag under your seat for the phone? I hate having extra stuff on me, but you're right about the safety/emergency aspect. I never really bothered taking mine with me but I want the stats.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2015
Bummer, thanks for this though it's a big help. Do you have a saddle bag or bag under your seat for the phone? I hate having extra stuff on me, but you're right about the safety/emergency aspect. I never really bothered taking mine with me but I want the stats.
My phone carry solution is a work in progress, and I do not love it yet. I have this bag that holds the phone on top of the frame at the front tube. It twists a little on the frame, and it is kind of wider than I need, so I bump my knees into it occasionally. I do not need to see the phone, so I will try to find something either in a thinner frame bag or some other bag to hold it. My friends keep their phones in a shirt pocket, but that looks very risky.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008A9F3WI

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
My phone carry solution is a work in progress, and I do not love it yet. I have this bag that holds the phone on top of the frame at the front tube. It twists a little on the frame, and it is kind of wider than I need, so I bump my knees into it occasionally. I do not need to see the phone, so I will try to find something either in a thinner frame bag or some other bag to hold it. My friends keep their phones in a shirt pocket, but that looks very risky.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008A9F3WI

Right now I have a small bag under my seat that I keep my riding gloves and repair kit, I'd rather leave it in that. I'm getting a saddle bag upgrade though which will slow me down a little but I can fit more wet weather gear in my bike.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
When I ride with my phone, I put it in a ziploc bag and kept it in my jersey's rear pocket.

If I want to wear normal clothes, I have a little bag which velcroes on top of the top tube and wraps around the steerer tube. They market it to distance riders for storing snacks and whatnot.

exxxviii, mine is a lot smaller than yours, but I forget the brand. Lyzene, maybe. It's just big enough for a couple granola bars, phone, thin wallet, and keys.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2015
exxxviii, mine is a lot smaller than yours, but I forget the brand. Lyzene, maybe. It's just big enough for a couple granola bars, phone, thin wallet, and keys.
Thanks for the tip. I am checking out the Lezyne bags. Definitely more compact and better fitting than the $5 bag that I have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.