Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My wife talked me into watching this and it’s holding my interest. Just after the end of WWII a nurse who visits a Druid site is transported to 1743 Scotland and uses her wits, will, and knowledge of the medicinal use of plants to survive in the midst of conflict between the Scottish and English. Unfortunately, one of the bad guys is a ringer for her husband in the 20th century.

In S1Ep2, the head of the MacKensie clan suffers from Toulouse Lautrec syndrome a degenerative bone disorder. How did they achieve this appearance? Special shoes that turn the actor’s feet inward, a practiced walk, patterned socks for capture, and Cgi of course. :)

28A1106D-BA83-4117-9445-81A65606D6F6.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: shadow puppet

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
My wife talked me into watching this and it’s holding my interest. Just after the end of WWII a nurse who visits a Druid site is transported to 1743 Scotland and uses her wits, will, and knowledge of the medicinal use of plants to survive in the midst of conflict between the Scottish and English. Unfortunately, one of the bad guys is a ringer for her husband in the 20th century.

In S1Ep2, the head of the MacKensie clan suffers from Toulouse Lautrec syndrome a degenerative bone disorder. How did they achieve this appearance? Special shoes that turn the actor’s feet inward, a practiced walk, patterned socks for capture, and Cgi of course. :)

Read the books. The series is even better if you do. ;)

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
S1:Ep6/7- Takes an interesting twist as Claire basically captive of the MacKenzies is intercepted by the English Army and what appears as a positive turn quickly turns dark as she meets her 20th Century husband’s ringer, his ancestor, a second time, who is a bastard (Black Jack Randall) and suspicious of the presence of an English woman in Scotland out in the woods amidst a skirmish between Scots and English soldiers.

Instead of the prospect of ending up in an English prison, she finds herself married* to a Scot, Jamie Frazier who has been drawn to her since she arrived in the 18th century.

* to become a Scottish Citizen to provide her some legal protection from Captain Randall.

Last edited:

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
S1:Ep6/7- Takes an interesting twist as Claire basically captive of the MacKenzies is intercepted by the English Army and what appears as a positive turn quickly turns dark as she meets her 20th Century husband’s ringer, his ancestor, a second time, who is a bastard (Black Jack Randall) and suspicious of the presence of an English woman in Scotland out in the woods amidst a skirmish between Scots and English soldiers.

Instead of the prospect of ending up in an English prison, she finds herself married* to a Scot, Jamie Frazier who has been drawn to her since she arrived in the 18th century.

* to become a Scottish Citizen to provide her some protection legal protection from Captain Randall.
Re: BJR
Just wait. ;)

• Love

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
S1E11- The Devil’s Mark, eye opener episode, takes me back to the Salem Witch trial I attended, full of damning personal speculation and lots of Witch! Witch! :) However the biggest eye opener is that she makes it back to the magic stones and...
chooses Jamie and the 18th Century over her 20th Century husband who looks like the bastard she knows on her adventure in time.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
S1E15 Wentworth Prison- Perfectly gruesome. Episode 16 was even worse. The audience gets the picture, why rub our noses in it repeatedly? :(

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
S2E5:
Outlander
while it is an enjoyable story, the calculations of the time traveler Claire Randall number one that she wants to undermine the Scottish Jacobite Rebellion (that ultimately failed in history) to save Scottish lives, number 2 suddenly becomes aware that if a certain man marries a certain woman, her future husband may not be born, so she dissuades him, and then no.3 she pressures her 18th century husband not to kill his arch enemy and villain, again needed to save her future husband.

Anyone who has studied my positions on time travel paradoxes :) knows that Claire is clearly out of her element to think that guiding individuals will lead to specific outcomes 200 years in the future, while apparently not giving half a thought to the vast effect on the future of just her presence, not to mention the profound effect of undermining a rebellion would cause on the future.

Gal, as far as what you want for the future, all bets are off. :D

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I enjoyed it, particularly the 1st season. It does get pretty damn grim at one stage. (Don't remember when exactly, but I'm guessing it's the episode or two you're referring to).

I don't know what the books are like, but in the show it feels fairly light-hearted with action bits; and then BOOM some fairly heavy scenes/topics dropped on the viewer.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just finished Season 2, wow! Definitely in romance novel territory, but outstanding story based on a historical framework. As said before regarding time travel, just accept it. :D Forging into Season 3.

It’s very interesting how the story has now split in 2 parts the past and the relative present as Claire convinces her daughter she is not a kook and her daughter is the child of an 18th century man. Also Claire discovers that her love Jamie was not killed in battle and impulsively heads back in time for I imagine another romantic reunion with her one true ❤️. :D

Reactions: whooleytoo

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
S1E15 Wentworth Prison- Perfectly gruesome. Episode 16 was even worse. The audience gets the picture, why rub our noses in it repeatedly? :(

The violence level of this show was a real negative to me.
More so than the romance novel flair that was just a bit too much kitsch.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The violence level of this show was a real negative to me.
More so than the romance novel flair that was just a bit too much kitsch.
Possibly the record for the most love? scenes and LS/per episode between the two main characters in a series, but I’m still watching. Now they need to hit every position or it starts to get repetitive ;)

The pirate episode I just referenced, on a river in North Carolina was a shock, putting an edge on the story.

I’d say the Wentworth prison episodes were the worst for uncomfortable/ torture included in this series.
I’m not a fan of watching 2 men amorously engaged, much less rape/torture and it seemed like it went on forever. I can see some producer saying, we really need to make the audience feel this. ?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Season 4: Episode 2 Spoiler-
In North Carolina, Jamie’s Aunt a wealthy plantation owner with slaves offers to give it to Jamie. As both of them are anti-slavery, it is anticipated that Claire’s headstrong views almost get them in hot water. This is less than a decade before the Civil War and knowing what Claire knows about history, I would have thought the ideal situation to help Jamie’s Aunts slaves in the US south would be to take over the plantation, make sure that their slaves are treated humanely, and wait it out for the Civil War. The bad part about this plan is making it though the Civil War in one piece. :)

The plantation River Run set in North Carolina, was built in Scotland as a set, just the first story exterior, and the rest was CGI.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Season 4- Spoiler

The story loses a lot of it’s edge for me when Brianna, Claire’s daughter reads in a historical document of her parents untimely demise 200 years ago and decides she is going to go back in time to warn them, then Brianna’s boyfriend chases her back in time too! Now stop thinking about time travel paradoxes especially when some enterprising Adventure Company starts taking groups of 10 vacationers back in time for time travel parties! ;)

Plus Roger and Brianna’s relationship, what a mess, quite the counter point to Claire and Jamie’s.
200 years ago...a chance meeting of impulsive time travelers.
Oh Brianna!
Oh Roger!

Hugs, kisses.
Roger, what are you doing here??
I was such an idiot insisting on being engaged before sex. And then you left without a warning! I came to find you and change our status!
Let’s get married!
We pronounce ourselves married!
Oh! Oh! Oh!
(4 min of wedded bliss)
Soon after... Brianna: What! You knew about the fire and didn’t tell me?!
They were already dead and I wanted you to be happy!
Oh, I’m mad!

Roger: Look me in the eyes and tell me to go...back to the future...! (lip quivering).
No one is stopping you!
Roger grabs his clothes and stomps off.
Brianna: Maybe I’ll head back to the pub and see what happens... ?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.