Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Why would they introduce more fragmentation into their iPhone line?

Dollars. Apple likes money. Bigger screens will sell like mad. Samsung and others have already proven that bigger screens sell well even without iOS. Apple is going to cash in like never before. App programers will cash in too. Adapting to some fragmentation will just be part of adapting to drive all that cashing in.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
The closest pixel count is an odd number. I suspect that's why Apple chose 1136.

Furthermore, 1080 isn't a multiple of 16. So I don't think your theory holds.

it's 1920 that's the multiple of 16. 1080 is the respective multiple of 9.

truettray

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2012
USA
I'm pretty excited about the 4.7 inch phone... but I still can't believe that people want anything bigger than 5 inches in a phone! I would be so disappointed if the smaller phone missed out on features because it's the "inferior" product.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Furthermore, 1080 isn't a multiple of 16. So I don't think your theory holds.

Incorrect -- 1920 x 1080 is a multiple of 16.

Imagine your screen as a graph, each 'box' being 4 x 4, or 16, pixels. Those 'macroblocks' are important for, among other things, the above-mentioned video optimization algorithms.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
Here is what the home screen would look like at 1334 x 750:
Physical icon sizes are the same.

Attachments

• 1334x750-iOS8.png
    1334x750-iOS8.png
    793 KB · Views: 676
Last edited:

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Incorrect -- 1920 x 1080 is a multiple of 16.

Imagine your screen as a graph, each 'box' being 4 x 4, or 16, pixels. Those 'macroblocks' are important for, among other things, the above-mentioned video optimization algorithms.
Oh, I thought commander.data meant 16x16 blocks.

Then the closest resolution to 1334x750 that has pixel counts in each direction a multiple of 4 (and is also 326 PPI on a 4.70" display, although the real display might be a few hundredth of an inch longer/shorter) is 1336x752.

EditIt looks like he may have actually meant 16x16. Still, regarding the smaller macroblocks, 1336 and 752 are both divisible by 8.

Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Well, I currently have to hold my 4S a few inches closer than what Apple deems a "normal" distance and I clearly see some pixilation. I was hoping for a bump in PPI. However, I would assuredly holed a 4.7" screen farther back than a 5.5" screen so the issue would be less pronounced, if existent at all.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
While I get that it is most likely a guess. He is a rather noteworthy "analyst" as Apple will usually feed him insider information to then feed to the public. He is almost always right.

In his post Gruber specifically mentioned that none of this is inside information.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I'm pretty excited about the 4.7 inch phone... but I still can't believe that people want anything bigger than 5 inches in a phone!

Millions and millions of people have wanted >5" so badly they chose Android over iOS to get it. And a chunk of them have purchased >6" screens.

Key: stop thinking of it as a phone. For some, the phone usage is a very small part of the overall usage. If you look at it for "the rest", then it's a bigger screen, pocketable computer. Once you mentally shift away from the phone portion of a 5s, the screen is really small for "the rest".

And, as I've said before, we're seeing these sizes as big and huge because we're accustomed to 4". Apple knows they can woo most of us to 4.7" easily enough. Who they may be after with the 5.5" screen is the Android crowd who are very accustomed to 5" to 6" and bigger screens. To some of them, 5.5" may seem small and 4.7" may seem too small. So, if true, Apple will get our money and their money too.

Last edited:

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
Thats my whole point though. The reason why people want larger screen is that what appears on the screen is larger, not just adding more onto the screen. Apple made the mistake the last time with the 5 when they had a bigger screen but everything was the same size. People want a larger screen so they don't have to zoom in to read whats on a webpage, not because they want an additional line of webpage before having to scroll. If Apple do keep everything the same size then there is no point in creating a larger screened iPhone.

I don't think Apple are that oblivious behind the reasons to why people wanting a larger screen, and therefor I would make a guess and say that this rumour will not be true.

You're confusing issues. Assuming Apple increases resolution and keep ~326PPI, buttons and interface elements will stay the same physical size, but the content itself (images, video, webpages) will of course appear larger, as these types of content are automatically resized to fill the screen.

Edit: Actually, it will not only make webpages larger but also show more content at the same time because the navigation bars will occupy a smaller percentage of the screen, which would not be the case if they simply blown up the whole interface.

Last edited:

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
I just wish the new phones were in a 3:2 ratio rather than 16:9. I still prefer that ratio from the 4S over what I have now in the 5.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Those resolutions give the 5.5" iPhone 2.7x more pixels than the 4.7" iPhone. It'll be interesting to see if Apple does anything with the GPU besides just a small clock speed bump otherwise the 5.5" may be underpowered to run things at native resolution. Given how the iPad 3 struggles handling it's native resolution compared to the previous iPad 2 hopefully this won't be repeated.

Won't be a problem at all. iPad 3? What about the iPad 4 with its A6X - that doesn't struggle. iPad Air and Retina mini with their A7... Those don't struggle. Assuming Apple puts a GPU at least as good or better than the A7 in the iPhone 6 (guaranteed I'm sure), they'll be well covered.

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Those resolutions give the 5.5" iPhone 2.7x more pixels than the 4.7" iPhone. It'll be interesting to see if Apple does anything with the GPU besides just a small clock speed bump otherwise the 5.5" may be underpowered to run things at native resolution. Given how the iPad 3 struggles handling it's native resolution compared to the previous iPad 2 hopefully this won't be repeated.

That's still fewer pixels than the retina iPad has, and an A7 that's nearly identical to that in the iPhone 5S has little trouble with it.

----------

I just wish the new phones were in a 3:2 ratio rather than 16:9. I still prefer that ratio from the 4S over what I have now in the 5.

I prefer that ratio for smaller phones, but I think it would make the 5.5" iPhone too wide, and Apple probably would like to keep all of their iPhone sizes going forward the same ratio.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
...(unless the website adjusts the amount of content per line in a webpage based on the resolution of the device it is viewed on, then all bets are off on how the website will react).

I agree with your post, but just to address this last point, I think Safari always report the screen width as 1024 pixels on every iOS device, so websites shouldn't treat the 4.7" differently.

That means that the content will be the same on a 4.7" or 5.5", but proportionally larger which is I think what we all want (full webpages are barely legible on a 4" iPhone without zooming).

I think that a lot of those who complain about the lack of PPI on the iPhone, saying "I can see the pixels!" are the type of people that try to read full webpages without zooming. Since the text is very small when viewing a page like this, it is easier to notice the pixels. For very small text like this, a higher PPI would make a bigger difference.

But on both the 4.7" and 5.5" iPhones, webpages will appear bigger, including the text, which will get much more defined and easier to read even at the same PPI, pixels will be much less noticeable.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
It always astounds me how a "bot" can write "news stories". If, as the OP implies, this IS a bot, then this "news" is even LESS worth reading, surely?

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Thats my whole point though. The reason why people want larger screen is that what appears on the screen is larger, not just adding more onto the screen. Apple made the mistake the last time with the 5 when they had a bigger screen but everything was the same size. People want a larger screen so they don't have to zoom in to read whats on a webpage, not because they want an additional line of webpage before having to scroll. If Apple do keep everything the same size then there is no point in creating a larger screened iPhone.

I don't think Apple are that oblivious behind the reasons to why people wanting a larger screen, and therefor I would make a guess and say that this rumour will not be true.

Not necessarily. Browsing desktop sites on Safari is only one usage scenario of an iPhone. Most other scenarios involve apps or websites designed to display content specifically made for the iPhone, therefore zooming in isn't necessary no matter what the screen size is. I would rather have more content than larger content, and it seems like that's what the 4.7 will provide. The 5.5 seems like it will have the best of both worlds.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Gruber's reasoning is very well thought out.

It does jive with early rumors that the 5.5" was to have a much higher density display.

Also, it makes sense given the rumored battery sizes. The 4.7" battery is marginally bigger, thus the screen pixel density is probably in line with that increase.

The 5.5" battery that has been rumored is far bigger, so a much higher density screen makes complete sense and would compliment it well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.