Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FloridaMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Destin, Fl
When I receive an email in the Outlook app, it’s not showing the badge number. If I go into the Outlook app and then back out again, only then will it show me number of unread emails has anybody experienced this?

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Have you got Background Refresh turned off? I dont have the badge etc turned on but i do have a watch face i use during work hours that shows calendar stuff and email count. That didnt work until i turned on Background Refresh for Outlook on my phone.

FloridaMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Destin, Fl
Have you got Background Refresh turned off? I dont have the badge etc turned on but i do have a watch face i use during work hours that shows calendar stuff and email count. That didnt work until i turned on Background Refresh for Outlook on my phone.
No, I have it turned on.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
When I receive an email in the Outlook app, it’s not showing the badge number. If I go into the Outlook app and then back out again, only then will it show me number of unread emails has anybody experienced this?
This has always been a problem with third party email apps in my experience. They either lag in updating to show a badge when all messages have been read, or don’t update for hours when new messages have arrived.

One of the reasons I use Mail.app.

bilibug

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Stockton NJ
Not to reopen this thread unnecessarily, but I’ve observed some behavior that might shed light on this issue. I believe that the Outlook app notification system is server message based, and not directly related to an actual refresh of messages by the app on the device.

Why do I say this? I recently was on a long flight where free “messaging” was available, but which prevented email and other non-message based communication apps from connecting. Throughout the flight, I received new email notifications from the Outlook app. I, however, received a no connection error when I went in and tried to refresh the actual mail app to see the messages for which I received notifications.

This could also indicate the reason why I can delete a new email notification from the lock screen, but can not delete the actual message from my inbox until I open the app (when I do have connectivity), and perform the action there.

To me, this seems like an indicator that the new message notification and inbox sync processes are completely independent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.