Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Oddly, when using Outlook for Mac, and the preview pane, all emails (inbound and sent), show a black background for emails, with white text.

Why?

If I open the emails fully, that is not the case. An odd one...

PS: Placed this thread here, since it may be a Mac OS causing this. However, also not sure of another specific section for 'other apps', to post this. Feel free to move it accordingly.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Do you have the "Switch Background" option in your ribbon?

Otherwise do you have “Dark mode” activated in MacOS?

I do not have 'switch background' activated. And, my modes are set to system, thus it changes based on time of day, etcetera.

I have since killed Outlook (Quit), twice and now it has corrected itself. The first time I quit the application, I went right back into it. This time, I waited a few minutes. All rather odd. But, thanks for the help and suggestions...

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I do not have 'switch background' activated. And, my modes are set to system, thus it changes based on time of day, etcetera.

I have since killed Outlook (Quit), twice and now it has corrected itself. The first time I quit the application, I went right back into it. This time, I waited a few minutes. All rather odd. But, thanks for the help and suggestions...

Is your theme/background in macOS set to switch from light to dark automatically? That's probably the system setting Outlook is following?

Getthisfaster

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2019
I found a solution for my problem. I work on "New Outlook" mode and indeed there was no "switch background" button. When I switched to old outlook, I saw this button. Then switching back to "New Outlook" showed all canvas in black. If I now switch from dark to light mode, all is correct.

Reactions: Slartibart
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.