Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meinlsync

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
I was wondering if I could get some help here. I'm asking for a friend about managing her email. Basically for the last seven or so years she has run a business using a Yahoo webmail account and address and used Outlook express on her Sony laptop. This has been great for her until now, she has just been given an original IPad (her partner brought a mini to replace it) and wants to use that as well to manage her stuff. So what you say? Well... the way it is currently set up as soon as the emails are downloaded onto her laptop they are deleted off the server. Longing onto the account online reveals a ghost town and this poses the problem that just setting up the Ipad with yahoo like you normally would wouldn't work/be helpful. Also all her (thousands) of contacts are saved on her computer but that is no problem as Itunes has the sync outlook contacts option. Really the problem is the fact that all the emails are saved on her laptop and all obsessively arranged in folders inside outlook express. Is there a way to get this system to work with an iPad? such as other IOS email clients or maybe if she used a different Windows client (like Thunderbird) would it be easier to work something out?

Thank you, sorry for the paragraph. :eek:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
If it's removing mail from the server it's probably set up as a POP account. Try setting it up as an IMAP account. I don't have settings handy but you can easily find them by Googling or searching here.

Meinlsync

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
Thanks for the reply. That may do the trick, I found out she actually has the account set up on a Blackberry as well but just lives with the email disappearing. Not very convenient so if this works she could be very pleased. The trick will be pulling this all off without a hitch because from past experience with her if something doesn't work first time she tends to ignore it.

Meinlsync

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
Ok, so I know that switching to Imap will sync the folders from the server to outlook but will it sync the outlook folders to the server?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.