Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

czarls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2019
hi,

My dad is using older Macbook pro with 10.11 system and stock mail application, and we cannot set up office365 account to download mails properly.
He is a teacher at the university and all mails have been moved to a different server. Previously it was office now it's outlook365 server. The login and whole email adress stayed the same, so I tried changing the servers name but with no luck. I also tried setting up different account as Exchange or 'different account' profile, but didnt' work either.
I'm not sure if I'm putting the server names properly, or maybe in wrong places.
Is there anyone who could help me out and guide me through the process to make it work?
I spent over 3hours testing different configs with sever names but still nothing...

thanks!

czarls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2019
ok, to update some info

I tried to set it up as exchange account - I filled in the email address and password but next a window appeared saying that it couldn't verify password and another two lines appeared to be filled in - some url servers. I typed in outlook.office365.com in both but another error came up.
We tried to log in via outlook webpage, and it worked fine so there must be something wrong with the config.

czarls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2019
It looks like it has something to do with the system itself. We tried to set up the account on the newer Mac and it worked. So where is the problem then?

czarls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2019
Ok, as noone seems to know the answer so I'm uploading some screenshots to show You step by step the problem.
Email's domain is 'p.lodz.pl'. To be able to log in to my mailbox via webpage, I need to type in the login the outlook.office365.com, then it moves me to other university page. I have to fill in login (same) and password and it works normally, I can see my inbox.
But I can't get it to work on my mabcbook. Each time I use the same login and the same password, tried hundred times.
There was an official info that they'd transfer all mails to different servers (previously it was Exchange account but outlook.office.com server) but none of other people with newer macs didn't have this problem afterwards. Apple mail application just updated servers by itself, and there was no need to change anything. In my case it's different. I think it has something to do with the old system.

I tried to set 'external server' as smtp.office365.com too, but didn't work either.
After logging in to my account, I checked mailbox sync settings and made a screenshot. It's also uploaded at the bottom.

anyone has any idea?
thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 194
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 185
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 214
  • 4.png
    4.png
    88.3 KB · Views: 225
  • mail.png
    mail.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Ok, as noone seems to know the answer so I'm uploading some screenshots to show You step by step the problem.
Email's domain is 'p.lodz.pl'. To be able to log in to my mailbox via webpage, I need to type in the login the outlook.office365.com, then it moves me to other university page. I have to fill in login (same) and password and it works normally, I can see my inbox.
But I can't get it to work on my mabcbook. Each time I use the same login and the same password, tried hundred times.
There was an official info that they'd transfer all mails to different servers (previously it was Exchange account but outlook.office.com server) but none of other people with newer macs didn't have this problem afterwards. Apple mail application just updated servers by itself, and there was no need to change anything. In my case it's different. I think it has something to do with the old system.

I tried to set 'external server' as smtp.office365.com too, but didn't work either.
After logging in to my account, I checked mailbox sync settings and made a screenshot. It's also uploaded at the bottom.

anyone has any idea?
thanks
If the university is using something called modern authentication, it won’t be possible to use the Apple Mail client from El Capitan as that feature is only supported in Mojave and newer.
You may have success setting up the email account as an IMAP account rather than an Exchange account, but it may ultimately be easiest to just use Outlook, or webmail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.