Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gizzygone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2024
I’m absolutely stuck: I’m hoping somebody can help me pull the trigger.

I know I want the Pro (for the screen, speakers, and ports). I know I need 2TB storage. Can I get by with an Air with my use? Absolutely… I’m looking to do basic computing and basic video editing. But don’t sell me on an Air…

I’m stuck between:

1: Refurb M2Pro (12cpu/19gpu, 16gb, 2tb) for $2300
2: New M3Pro 11cpu/14gpu, 36gb (or 18), 2TB) for 2,999 (2499 for 18gb)
3: New M3Pro 12/18, 36GB, 2TB for 3199
4: New M3Max, 14/30, 36, 2Tb for 3599.

I’m all for saving money, but I’d also like to take advantage of these machines IF Apple starts getting some AAA games, hence the higher-spec Pro and Max. (Additionally, when financing with Apple Card, it’s maybe $50/month difference between the models which isn’t a big deal)

Max does scare me as I’ve read about heat issues in 14” chassis: Is that a true concern on day-to-day tasks (lots of tabs, a word document and/or photo library work)? Or does it only come into play when gaming/rendering/etc?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I’m absolutely stuck: I’m hoping somebody can help me pull the trigger.

I know I want the Pro (for the screen, speakers, and ports). I know I need 2TB storage. Can I get by with an Air with my use? Absolutely… I’m looking to do basic computing and basic video editing. But don’t sell me on an Air…

I’m stuck between:

1: Refurb M2Pro (12cpu/19gpu, 16gb, 2tb) for $2300
2: New M3Pro 11cpu/14gpu, 36gb (or 18), 2TB) for 2,999 (2499 for 18gb)
3: New M3Pro 12/18, 36GB, 2TB for 3199
4: New M3Max, 14/30, 36, 2Tb for 3599.

I’m all for saving money, but I’d also like to take advantage of these machines IF Apple starts getting some AAA games, hence the higher-spec Pro and Max. (Additionally, when financing with Apple Card, it’s maybe $50/month difference between the models which isn’t a big deal)

Max does scare me as I’ve read about heat issues in 14” chassis: Is that a true concern on day-to-day tasks (lots of tabs, a word document and/or photo library work)? Or does it only come into play when gaming/rendering/etc?

Buy the pro.

a few years (like... 3-5 - the expected lifetime of a MacBook for most people) is a long time to regret not getting the spec machine you want.

As far as AAA games go, Baldurs Gate 3 runs fine on an M1 Pro.

Gizzygone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2024
You aren't actually counting on that really happening are you?

I personally wouldn't buy hardware for a potential future of "Apple gets AAA games"

We've been waiting on that basically forever
Wasn’t sure…. Multiple reviews of these newer machines have mentioned that they think these design choices point to Apple taking a more serious approach.

Yes, I know I’ve been seeing rumors here for a decade now about gaming and apple…. But I know as soon as I buy a base model, the big games will come! Lol

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
I'd go with Option 2 if money isn't an issue. I had both base model M1 Pro and M2 Pro and the only real complaints I have is that I should have gone for 32GB because of the shared RAM between both CPU/GPU, especially when driving high resolution displays the 16GB sits around at 60% mem pressure.

Gizzygone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2024
So I pulled the trigger on a REFURBISHED M3Pro, 12/18, 36GB, 2TB last night from the Apple Store… and I had instant regret.

All this research for weeks, going back and forth, and I had myself convinced that a 12core 36gb was the way to go… and then I hit “submit order” and it dawns on me that 11core, 18gb is likely enough machine for me and my use.

The new 11core is $330 less than the 12 core refurb. The 12 core is a lot of machine for the money… but$330 is a lot of beer/whiskey for St Patricks Day weekend.

Thoughts?

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
So I pulled the trigger on a REFURBISHED M3Pro, 12/18, 36GB, 2TB last night from the Apple Store… and I had instant regret.

All this research for weeks, going back and forth, and I had myself convinced that a 12core 36gb was the way to go… and then I hit “submit order” and it dawns on me that 11core, 18gb is likely enough machine for me and my use.

The new 11core is $330 less than the 12 core refurb. The 12 core is a lot of machine for the money… but$330 is a lot of beer/whiskey for St Patricks Day weekend.

Thoughts?
You've ordered it, wait for it to arrive and test it out.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
You’re going to be fine and have more computer than you need for any of your daily tasks. The $330 is yours to spend as you prefer.

I need a Pro machine, I bought a Max machine. Next time the situation is almost definitely going to be the same: a Pro will do me fine, a Max (or even Ultra) will fall into the checkout cart…

I keep telling myself that I’m going to become a developer one day… as if I couldn’t do that on a base Mac… :oops:

Reactions: Gizzygone

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019

Thoughts?
I mean, yeah, you probably overspent, but at the end of the day, only you know how much of a problem that is. There’s nothing wrong with refurbs, they’re usually quite stout. Having applecare is a must either new or refurbished. I guess in a week if you’re still smarting from paying 330 more, then sure, return it. The financial idealist in me would say, yeah, return it and maybe see if they have a refurb Pro with your specs. But again, only you know if that overpayment will bum you out long term. It’s not like it’s a bad machine, and you’ll probably love it. You’d probably love the Pro as well…

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon

Thoughts?

You having 14 days to check/test the new MBP you ordered. If it’s suits your needs, keep it, and if not return/send it back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.