Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rckyrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
Los Angeles
Team,

Over memorial day weekend in Palm Springs, I was playing tunes by the pool on 110-degree weather. iPhone XS was overheating and using it, and I was tapping with wet fingers until it went kaput!

The screen was out, but I think I was able to trigger apps until the phone dies for good next day.

Took it to TMobile and because they couldn't troubleshoot, they deferred me directly to Apple. Before doing so, I decided to Best Buy as they are now Authorized Apple Repair Center. Kudos to Best Buy because they did genuinely tried to troubleshoot and give it a diagnostic; however, I escalated to the Apple store as Best Buy had limited resources.

At Apple, (Century City, CA) a host tried to troubleshoot and give a diagnostic and because he couldn't, an appointment was needed for the next day. I showed up, Apple staff a simple glance at my dead phone and spews "Water damage and outside factory warranty." I asked if he can at least tried but showed me a drop of water inside the lens; he insisted that water went through the speaker orifice. My insistence was fruitless, so I ended up paying $610 to replace it.

All of this was ten days before ordering a better waterproof iPhone 11 Pro.

Anyone could suggest me what to do and have a case with consumer protection?

Note : No Carrier insurance nor Apple Care. iPhone user for six years and never have I been in need to add those but instead rely on product durability and alleged resilience to be water-resistant.

Thank you

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Use your replacement or trade/sell into a new phone. What kind of consumer case do you have? None. A product broke outside of the requirements of a factory warranty's coverage. Stinks, but it is what it is.

You can hire a lawyer and lose thousands and not get your $600 back.

Reactions: Rckyrr

Rckyrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
Los Angeles
Use your replacement or trade/sell into a new phone. What kind of consumer case do you have? None. A product broke outside of the requirements of a factory warranty's coverage. Stinks, but it is what it is.

You can hire a lawyer and lose thousands and not get your $600 back.

Totally undestable. Never in years I used my paid insurance; I guess I am even with Apple. Thank you for your reply, man.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
It stinks when it happens. My boss bought an iPhone X and was excited about the waterproof housing. So he recorded himself jumping into a pool his son.

Somehow the pressure caused the phone to immediately die. Apple refused a warranty. He ended up negotiating about half the cost of the repair but they weren’t a big help. Total bummer.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
If you bought it with a CC you might check and see if you have coverage with it.

If there’s water inside the case it’s probably a long shot, but maybe worth a try. All they can do is say no.

Rckyrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
Los Angeles
If you bought it with a CC you might check and see if you have coverage with it.

If there’s water inside the case it’s probably a long shot, but maybe worth a try. All they can do is say no.
Yes, paid with CC but now their phone is on their side. How can i prove?

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
Yes, paid with CC but now their phone is on their side. How can i prove?

You might try showing the CC company the tech specs from Apple for water resistance if they question it. It’s really small potatoes to them so they might go along. That‘s about all that I can think of. Good luck with the outcome - if it works please update the thread!

Rckyrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
Los Angeles
You might try showing the CC company the tech specs from Apple for water resistance if they question it. It’s really small potatoes to them so they might go along. That‘s about all that I can think of. Good luck with the outcome - if it works please update the thread!

I started my claim with my CC (Capital One QuickSilver) - I am not sure if it is part of their script but they were very open to listening about my claim. Good thing I have both the Apple and T-Mobile receipt. I will keep everyone posted!

Reactions: Azathoth123

Rckyrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
Los Angeles
Capital One Quicksilver is doing the proper investigations- they credited me the amount spent on the phone and proceed accordingly if they can claim it in my favor.

Reactions: Azathoth123

Rckyrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
Los Angeles
Team, Capital one debit my account as Apple replied with the (standard) reasons and photocopies of the warrant policy. Fortunately, Capital one is extending the offer to keep pushing for this claim against Apple.
I would need to submit a short story of events plus receipts of all transactions.

Wish me luck and remember to keep Apple fulfill the warranty promises!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Wish me luck and remember to keep Apple fulfill the warranty promises!

I'm confused on this part. The iPhone is water resistant, not waterproof. And water damage is clearly outlined in the limited warranty as not being covered. If you had AC+ you could have paid $99 because of the water damage for the replacement phone. I'm not sure what warranty promises they need to fulfill. They have no obligation.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.