Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2006
Hi all, i need your advice at deleting overprint in Illustrator CS.
i work in a major publsihing/printing company & this issue has got a lot of people baffled.
If you select all & untick the options of overprint fill & stroke, it doesn't actually remove the overprint in your file does it?
Because if you open the document again overprint is still ticked.

Anyone have a method thats trusted, that actually remove overprint.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I've got Illustrator CS open right now and selecting objects on an individual basis rather than as a group and setting their overprint in the Attributes palette and saving as an EPS seems to retain the settings.

rick6502

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2006
Overprinting

I hate it when that happens. I accidently clicked the button to submit the post.

rick6502

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2006
Overprint or Trap?

The overprint setting is controlled by the Overprint settings on the Attributes pallet. If the setting isn't sticking, there's something else wrong, besides Illustrator.
On the other hand, if you have used the Trap function on the Pathfinder pallet, those don't go away easily. I have never been impressed by Illustrator's trapping. When you use that filter it makes all sorts of little thin paths for the trap. Often it is unable to make a trap on something that just has a fill. Then if you decide to not use the trap, each little one has to be manually deleted. There are some ways to use the select same fill color option to get most of them, but you would want to be careful.
What's interesting is that I never cease to be impressed by InDesign's trapping. It can trap almost anything while printing. Because of this is don't use Illustrator's trapping and place the file in ID for printing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.